SOLVED Signing in "local account" vs "microsoft account"

Reaction score
What is the difference, "local account" or "microsoft account" when I sign in.
One uses my email address and the other just my user name. Does this option affect networking in any way?

Reaction score
local account its not a account on Microsoft server but they cant sync your setting between computer ect...

local its more like before in Windows 7 and lower ...

Reaction score
Is the syncing the only advantage? I think the Calendar and mail is synced but is anything else that I might be interested in? I worry that if I use the microsoft signin then I am opening the door to other actions I do not know about. I have always thought that simpler is much better.

Reaction score
Local account

A local account is a user name and password that you use to sign in to only a single Windows PC. This is the same type of user account that was used in Vista and Windows 7.
  • You have to create a user name and account for each PC you use.
  • While not recommended, you can remove the password if you like.
  • You'll need a Microsoft account to download apps from the Store, but you can set it up later.
  • Your settings won't be synced across the PCs that you use.

Microsoft account

A Microsoft account is an email address and password that you can use to sign in to Microsoft services and all Windows 8/10 PCs and devices.

Some benefits:
  • Free.
  • Password cannot be removed since it is required, but you can change the password.
  • Access, save, share, and sync all of your documents, music, photos, and videos from OneDrive (aka: the cloud) on all PCs and devices that you sign in with the same Microsoft account.
  • Download, install, and restore apps from the Windows Store.
  • Get your online content in Microsoft apps automatically.
  • Sync your personal settings across all PCs and devices that you sign in to with the same Microsoft account.
  • Two-step verification to verify your identity whenever you sign in to your Microsoft account.
  • You can set limits for how and when your child uses their Microsoft account. Monitoring their activity so you teach them online safety skills.
  • Jot down a note in OneNote. Next time you sign in to a device (doesn’t even have to be the same one) you'll be right back to where you left off, no matter where you were, or the device used last time.
  • Your Microsoft account keeps track of your Xbox Music Pass collection and playlists, syncing across your tablet, PC, phone, and your Xbox console.
  • Use your Windows Phone as a controller for your Xbox console when you're signed in with the same Microsoft account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response. I have five computers. Would it matter if some signed in using the microsoft account and other a local account. I am having a bit of trouble getting all of the computers seeing each other in my work group network and looking for why i am having the trouble. I think I have all five set up the same way but it seems that sometimes the computers are visible and other times they are not. Even when visible, I often get a sign in window and when I enter the user name and password, it is not accepted. I think MS networking is truly terrible to set up.

Reaction score
Cortana needs to be signed in with a Microsoft account but you can sign on to the PC locally and just use the MS account for Cortana.

Ask a Question