Skype (not just Firefox) now caused 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot

Reaction score
https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ses-1703-to-lock-computer-must-re-boot.14344/

Now it got locked up when I tried to start Skype (computer had been running very well for hours). So: mechanical stop (on/off switch) then start again with switch, running nicely again, also Skype.

However, as has happened a half-dozen or more times ONLY since updating to 1703 a few months ago, at first re-start (from off) the sound was off at start (all else working, auto-diagnostic found nothing). Another "shut-down" but with click on "shut down", switch re-start and then all fine (so far). THAT's been going on since 1703 was installed

My guess now is 1703 bugs

Reaction score
After the above post I used Security troubleshooter on both Skype (64-bit USA version direct from Mozilla, Skype from USA, classic, not Softonic, etc.) which indicated incompatible. Downloaded Firefox 32-bit again, same indication, but then found how to get troubleshooter to fix incompatibility, Then re-installed the 64-bit Firefox and Security troubleshooter again indicated incompatibility the same way .... but this time I had it FIX, so it indicates fixed.. Also re-installed Skype classic 7.38 DIRECT from Skype (not Softonic, etc.), no incompatibility indicated. Also ran scannow, nothing.

All working .... so far

Reaction score
Tried several versions of Windows Troubleshooter MANY times over the past week. What I finally did, after many HOURS (more than 10 hrs) of System Restore and uninstalling and re-installing various versions of Firefox (now running 64-bit) and Kaspersky (now running KIS 16 again till license expires in 3 mos, will then renew w/KIS 17.), was what I had always done with beloved Win7 , namely not use Defender! Period. Just much more effective Kaspersky.

A result of my own "troubleshooting", since I personally checked and saw that HealthService repeatedly showed up in the crash reports (reliability history) ....

since many not-too important and solvable issues came along with 1703 (ex-wife was Group Leader of 40 men in Testing at MS Redmond and I do know about bugs in software w/ millions of lines of code), I found and used, from https://partnersupport.microsoft.co...s/5829f484-939c-4365-8545-770ba0efc66d?auth=1 >
1. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService
2. Set the start type to 3.
3. Go to Task Manager, Startup, right click on Windows Defender Notification icon, click Disable. Reboot. Problem solved.(from Windows

That seems to be working so far (if not, can easily undo it)

(but will not mark "solved" until so proven over the next days)

Ask a Question