Sleep and hibernate

Reaction score
When my computer sleeps or hibernates all the open programs close. When I wake up the computer, I have to recover or restore everything I was working on before. Very annoying. I have checked all the power settings and everything appears to be right, but this problems persists.
Drivers are all up to date, but it has always done this since new in June. I'm just getting around to trying to find a solution.

HP 15-f111dx
AMD A8 with R5 graphics
12GB RAM

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
cluke....I've had the same issue and did some checking today. I found notes online regarding sleep/hibernate on the Power Settings. It stated to lengthen the time before sleep or hibernate and then I found NEVER as one of the options for sleep and clicked that. My laptop is always plugged in and I run programs in the background when I'm not home which kept getting turned off and closed. Yes, irritating! I may have to check NEVER for hibernate also! At work the same things happen. The next day I have to reopen programs and forms I keep open.

There should be a question in Windows when you install if you actually WANT that option and make us click a box to say yes, close all my programs if I say yes! I'll update on the NEVER selection but I've not seen any responses in the forum to this issue.

Reaction score
I think I have found a 'workaround' answer to "Sleep" but it won't damned well "Wake up" problem.

This may not work on all PCs, and I haven't tried it on a laptop, but on my PC if I put it to sleep, whether by the [Start} menu, or by pressing the power button, I do the following to bring it back to life: -

Press the power button, and immediately after, press the "Hard reset" button. The PC bleeps as though it is about to go through a full "Restart", shows all the CMOS data that you get on a first bootup but, and this is the good bit, it skips the pretty view of the beach from inside the cave, and skips the logon window, going straight to the window as you left it when you put it to sleep. All minimised programs are on the task bar, and any program you had fully open reappears exactly as you left it, just as it would have done on a proper "Sleep/Awake" task perform under Win 7. I've tried this with a "Word" document open, a CAD design open, and it works every time. Not a proper 'solution' I know, but it will do until Microsoft get their act together and sort the "Sleep/Awake" problem.

I would be interested, though, if anyone can define the difference between "Sleep" and "Hibernate"

If it helps, my Power options settings are, with a "Balanced" power plan, as follows: -

upload_2016-2-21_12-42-52-png.2443

and, for reference, my bootup time from scratch, including entering my password, is a smidgeon under 2 minutes, depending on how fast I type the password. It is possible, of course, that my SSD may be a contributory factor to this. I regard the SSD as the best upgrade I've ever done to a PC in 30 years of using one!

Hope the info helps,

Tony N

Reaction score
Hi Vince,

it is possible, particularly if you are using a laptop, that you may not have a "Hard Reset". On my PC it is the button just above the blue light, and below the power button. Slightly smaller than the power button.

It's not quite the same as a "Restart" because it takes the hardware back to square one to reboot the PC.

Tony N

Reaction score
Thank you, Tony. None of my rigs have such a button. I do remember, decades ago, having a reset button, but those useful devices are rare today.

Ask a Question