SOLVED Sleep!....Sleep!

Bif

Reaction score
An interesting observation today, I had left my laptop in sleep mode all night and just woke her up at roughly 6:00 pm central time...I thought I would open Updates and run a check for anything new and I noticed that "my system is up to date" and it was last checked at 11:00 this morning while in sleep mode??....so am I to assume that my machine is running scheduled update checks even while it's completely asleep?..it would seem as such..
I should add that I have things such as wake with mouse movement disabled..I know for a fact that it doesn't wake up as I'd surely hear it.
Anyone else ever notice this behaviour?..:confused:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Bif,

what are your "Active hours" settings like?, that might explain why it updated even in sleep mode!. :)

I don't have my PC's set for sleep mode as I prefer to know what they are doing!. ;)

update active hours.JPG

Bif

Reaction score
@Wolfie
I thought of that as well, but my active hours are set from 7-10 am..( mine was checked at 11:06 am )
with that being said, I was still completely unaware that it overroad sleep mode..
Learned something new today about 10... again!

Reaction score
My PCs do the same MS checks for updates or downloads updates unless the machine is turned off. It often wonder if this could be a backdoor for hackers to access your machine? I suppose they could also retrieve updates off machines for updating other machines on the net?

Bif

Reaction score
My PCs do the same MS checks for updates or downloads updates unless the machine is turned off. It often wonder if this could be a backdoor for hackers to access your machine? I suppose they could also retrieve updates off machines for updating other machines on the net?
Your curiosity is shared, I'm a shut down at night kinda guy as a rule but forgot to on this particular evening..I will resume my normal habits now!
It does make you wonder though about backdoor access..seems like the door is wide open to anyone when asleep... perhaps a good guard dog is in order!

Reaction score
Just for anyone else that might be interested; I disable "Remote Assistance" in all forms as that could be used (my opinion) as a back door into the system!. ;)

Here in Germany, there are people phoning would-be customers saying they work for MS and then get the people to install software that allows them complete remote access to their PC's, I do not know if this is a legit call or a scam?. :eek:

firewall.JPG

Reaction score
Wow! There are so many allowed apps on my list that are allowed through the firewall, how does one know what to deselect.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Here in Germany, there are people phoning would-be customers saying they work for MS
Here in the U.S. as well and..... I suspect, most of the rest of the world.

I think as a good and practical rule of thumb, no one should expect an unsolicited call from anyone purporting to be Microsoft is going to be anything legitimate.
Especially, when it begins with someone wanting to assume remote control of your computer.

Bif

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly Norton..Remote Assistance is deselected but as you said, so many apps having FULL access.
Perhaps I've opened a whole new can - o - worms!
Maybe others will she'd some light on what apps need FULL access and which don't.

Reaction score
Wow! There are so many allowed apps on my list that are allowed through the firewall, how does one know what to deselect.
One of the simplest settings Norton/Bif is the "Don't allow anything incoming", that way; nothing trying to get into your PC can! (well that's the theory anyway!). :)

Control Center >Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings and set your own rules if you like (remember what you do!), :)

firewall 2.JPG

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but, I have to ask "What's the rule(s)" who determines the in - outbound rules; MS?
I only see 2 inbound connections blocked on my PC and believe it or not, they are MS Management Console (Private) blocked.:eek:

Reaction score
HI Norton,

you have to decide basically what you want in and outbound, see the following example links which explains it better than I can (my general rule of thumb is to block all incoming if they aren't in the list of allowed apps!):

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/18/windows-10/enable-disable-windows-firewall-rules-windows-10.html :)

https://www.quantumbooks.com/technology/software/how-to-set-up-the-firewall-in-windows-10/

Other firewall software is also available but I stick with MS firewall myself, an example below:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Windows-7-Firewall-Control.shtml :)

Reaction score
Wolfie Thanks for the links. I understand now that it's a pre-established set of rules, that seem to work well.

Bif

Reaction score
I checked the firewall advanced settings and noticed that things like PotPlayer and other non essential third party app/programs had full inbound access..
Not anymore!..can always undo the changes if problems arise, but it shows to go ya that this thing called 10 is a constant learning experience..and with the ongoing cumulatives..one may never completely know the changes taking place.

Reaction score
I suppose a couple of things. Windows updates has always been able to wake a system up, as far as I know. Your settings should be able to stop it at unapproved times.

Secondly, the system you have might make a difference as to what it can do. If your system was capable of Modern Standby, it can do things like checking updates and mail and some other things. This is usually on the newer systems such as Surface Pro and some others, like my Dell XPS 13 9365.

PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

Reaction score
I unchecked some unnecessary items too, xbox, candy crush soda, cloud, skype, zune tunes... What the heck is zune tunes

Bif

Reaction score
@Norton
Zune is/was a Sony thing.. you can uninstall that completely as it was an interface for a Sony mp3 player.. which I'm assuming you don't have.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@Norton
Zune is/was a Sony thing.. you can uninstall that completely as it was an interface for a Sony mp3 player.. which I'm assuming you don't have.
Are you absolutely certain about that.
I was under the impression that Microsoft was still using (internally at least) the "Zune" name as their identification for their newer "Groove Music" product.
When I check powershell I see this

Capture.PNG

When I look on the web for a means of uninstalling certain "Apps" I find this
https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/ho...-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/
Which if you scroll down a bit you'll see
Uninstall Groove Music:

Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage
Which might suggest that if you "uninstall" or block it at the firewall, you might find that you'll need another player, which I suspect some folks may have already adopted so.... no big deal I guess.

Note too sure why they are hanging on to the old "Zune" name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zune
Since it never gained much market share broadly. I just want to be sure we're all talking about the same thing.

Bif

Reaction score
@Trouble,
My only experience with it was way back in the Windows 7 days when I tried to get my Sony mp3 player ( don't ask ) to work with Windows...I was forced to install Zune from the Sony site at that time in order for it to work..sort of.
But your info seems legit.. perhaps there was an acquisition?...

My apologies if my info is incorrect.. just going from my personal experience.

Last edited:

Ask a Question