Slow response time now with USB 3.0 Portable Drives

Reaction score
Hi,

My first post.

Have upgraded to Windows 10 and now have an annoying issue (to me) in that the response time to download files from my portable USB 3.0 HDD's in File Explorer has increased significantly from when I was using them with Windows 8.1 although the read/write transfer rates have not changed.

This is more noticeable when the directories are large ie above 50GB. When using the same HDD's in windows 8.1 the response time appeared to be immediate with all the file details appearing instantly on the screen and of course with no annoying "Working on it" message appearing to fill in the time.

Has anyone else experienced this increased response time?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

My first post.

Have upgraded to Windows 10 and now have an annoying issue (to me) in that the response time to download files from my portable USB 3.0 HDD's in File Explorer has increased significantly from when I was using them with Windows 8.1 although the read/write transfer rates have not changed.

This is more noticeable when the directories are large ie above 50GB. When using the same HDD's in windows 8.1 the response time appeared to be immediate with all the file details appearing instantly on the screen and of course with no annoying "Working on it" message appearing to fill in the time.

Has anyone else experienced this increased response time?

Thanks

Update: I have tried the HDD's on another Windows 10 laptop and it does the same. I have another laptop which is running Windows 7 and the response time is immediate - even for a directory containing many large files of around 4-10 GB with a total directory size of 300+ GB.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it may be just an indexing issue and once Windows 10 has had an opportunity to index the drives if you access time might improve.

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it may be just an indexing issue and once Windows 10 has had an opportunity to index the drives if you access time might improve.

I removed the "Length" column in file explorer and the response time to load the files is now immediate, so it appears I have solved my slow response time issue. I did not mention previously that the majority of files in the sub directories were .mkv files.

Ask a Question