Slow start and shutdown

Reaction score
W7 used to be fairly slow to start, about 2 minutes, but it shut down pretty quickly. Since "upgrading :eek: " to W10 my PC takes about 3 minutes to boot and even longer to shut down. Unless I can leave it, I usually just switch it off after about 30 seconds.
In other forums I have heard reports of boot times ranging from super fast (15-30 seconds) to funereal (5 - 10 minutes and then some) .
Does anyone have any ideas how to speed this up?
I was thinking that a clean re-install would be the best solution, but since this was the free upgrade, I don't have a copy to re-install. Maybe do a clean re-install of W7 and let MS upgrade it again (maybe!)

Last edited:
Reaction score
First, start the task manager (right click task bar and select it). If you do not see "Startup" at the top, select "more details" which is in the lower left corner. When you select "Startup" you will see all the processes which start automatically when you start the computer. Disable them and then restart. Perhaps that is all that is slowing your pc up. If it is still slow there are other things you can try.

Reaction score
Sorry Dan99, that didn't help. I've been doing much the same for years, using various utilities (I find CC Cleaner one of the best) to pare down the startup items to the minimum and disable things that have the arrogance of thinking they must start up without my say so.
Attached is a text file containing my current startup items, there are only 7 enabled and Norton starts automatically as well.

Attachments

• startup.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 553
Reaction score
Sorry Dan99, that didn't help. I've been doing much the same for years, using various utilities (I find CC Cleaner one of the best) to pare down the startup items to the minimum and disable things that have the arrogance of thinking they must start up without my say so.
Attached is a text file containing my current startup items, there are only 7 enabled and Norton starts automatically as well.
If you have all those enabled, you are lucky to get started as quickly as you do. I have zero enabled and also do not use a password which is why I get a fast startup. Sorry but I can not help you.

startup.PNG

Reaction score
startup_pjaj.jpg

OK, I've disabled the lot now, and it still takes 2'40" to boot.
I too disabled the password soon after W10 was installed.

Reaction score
I just checked mine again and it takes under 30 seconds from start button press to desktop. It takes about 3 seconds to shut down. I do have a SSD which I am sure helps a little.

Have you checked "fast startup" ? Settings/System/Power & Sleep/Additional Power Settings/Choose What The Power Buttons Do then click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" scroll down and check "Turn on fast startup (recommended".if it is unchecked.

If that does not help then you will have to wait patiently for more assistance from notable members or a moderator. They will certainly have more options.

I did just talk to a local business man about his unresponsive pc and he solved that problem by removing all the programs which were unnecessary in "Programs and Features". One of them was the culprit in his case.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may also want to consider taking things one step further by disabling non-Microsoft services.
While disabling items under the start up tab will keep the application itself from launching, it may not prevent associated processes / services from launching and running in the background.
Have a look here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Follow the instructions for Win 8 / 8.1 same for 10.
You're half way there as you've already disabled startup items, all the remains are non-Microsoft services.
Might be worth trying.

Reaction score
Here is what I have as the bare necessities on my Windows 10 pc.
P&F.PNG

When you disable the services which Trouble advised make double certain that you "Hide all Microsoft Services" first or it could be bad news. Here is what mine looked like after hiding all the Microsoft Services and disabling the remainder.

msconfig.PNG

Reaction score
Good morning. You mentioned that you use Ccleaner I believe but have you ran a Malwarebytes scan to remove malware?

Also, anti spyware can cause problems too so you could remove that temporarily to see if it was an issue. Many of us do not even use such things as Norton but rely on Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall with Malewarebytes run manually and Ccleaner run manually as well. We do not have any problems so obviously that works quite well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good morning. You mentioned that you use Ccleaner I believe but have you ran a Malwarebytes scan to remove malware?

Also, anti spyware can cause problems too so you could remove that temporarily to see if it was an issue. Many of us do not even use such things as Norton but rely on Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall with Malewarebytes run manually and Ccleaner run manually as well. We do not have any problems so obviously that works quite well.
Back in October I had a different problem and thiught I'd been hacked somehow, so I ran extensive scans including Malwarebytes, so I'm now pretty sure there's no nasties on the system. Actually this long boot time problem was with me for many months back in the days of W7.
It has been suggested that Malwarebytes and Comodo can slow the boot process, but I have neither of them loading at boot time.
Still, a little progress.
There are several articles / blogs on technet which discus the use of Windows Performance Analyser and in my case the xbootmgr.exe -trace boot command. This reboots the PC and logs all the stages together with times. It then generates a huge (nearly 700Mb) .etl file which, if you click on it loads into a graphical interface where you can view how long every step took in minute detail. Note: the trace runs a further 120 sec into the run time after boot is complete.

xbootmgr.jpg

If you look at the full sized image you can see that the Winlogon Init in the Boot Phases diagram is taking the lions share (approx 127 sec) of the time. From the Generic Events part of the diagram nearly every other activity is delayed until the Winlogon Init phase has nearly finished. Not shown is the CPU usage diagram which shows virtually no activity for about 120 sec during this phase.
Is there anyone out there more proficient at reading these diagrams and diagnosing / fixing what's going wrong?

Reaction score
A bit more information
You can download the Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit here.
Digging a little further into the graphical display shows the following

xbootmgr_2.jpg

Expanding the Winlogon entry shows that the task "CreatePrimaryTerminal" seems to be the culprit.
Virtually nothing else happens during the 120+ seconds whilst it just sits there apparently blocking everything else.
However, Googling CreatePrimaryTerminal turns up nothing and the MS site search likewise.
Does anyone know what this process is and why it takes 2 unproductive minutes to run?

Reaction score
I never did solve this problem. However my SSD started throwing faults and needing error / repair scans, so I replaced it with a new SSD and reinstalled a clean copy of W10, not a clone of the existing disk. It now boots in about 20 sec and can shut down just as quickly, although this is very variable.

Ask a Question