So far, what do beta users think of Win 10?

Reaction score
Hey all,

Say, I just got the free upgrade notice, but I'm wondering what beta users think so far about Win 10.

Thanks,

Starkman

Reaction score
I like it and will most definitely use it as my operating system. Hope they can get all the little bugs and issues banished by the RTM date.

Reaction score
I like it and will most definitely use it as my operating system. Hope they can get all the little bugs and issues banished by the RTM date.

Thanks Dipsy,
So, what do you think about navigating it? Are things easy to find or are they buried deep? What do you like and not like about it?

Reaction score
Does Windows 10 have the ability to install over an existing Windows 7 installation preserving files, apps etc. or do we still have to reformat & reinstall 10?

Reaction score
I'm assuming it will be a clean install upgrade the way it has always been upgrading 2 generations. But for now I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Reaction score
I really like the new system. i have experienced a few small glitches but just small development issues. I did like the quick access that 8.1 had to multiple screen settings, i might be missing it but hopefully it will come back.

Reaction score
Does Windows 10 have the ability to install over an existing Windows 7 installation preserving files, apps etc. or do we still have to reformat & reinstall 10?

Yes, an upgrade install from Win 7 to Win 10 will let you keep your files, settings and almost all your applications.

What do you mean " reinstall 10 " ? A different question ?

Upgrade and keep everything #2.jpg

Reaction score
Just posted this on another forum, but maybe some interest here.

I have tried to put a load of links, from authorative MS sources, together, so that they make more sequential reading. All to do with the forthcoming free upgrade. Have a look. Also pay some attention to Davidhks's Thread/post regarding what you will lose.

Attachments

• Untitled 1.pdf
    133.6 KB · Views: 996
Reaction score
Just posted this on another forum, but maybe some interest here.
"2. Will we receive a separate License Key for Windows 10, or will it be the same as our Windows
7 / 8 / 8.1 License Key?
By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product
key and should not be prompted to enter one even after Windows 10 has completed setup."

That should change after RTM.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That should change after RTM.
I don't think so.

The way I understand it now is, When you upgrade an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 machine to Windows 10, that upgrade to that machine is somehow linked for all time with your Microsoft ID.....
AND
You are suppose to be able to reinstall Windows 10 to that machine (clean, even with a new blank hard drive) forever (for the life of that machine) using only your Microsoft ID.

I assume and this is only a guess that at the time of the upgrade some hardware components will be combined with the install to forum some Globally Unique Identifier which will be stored and forever associated with your Microsoft Account.

Now.....
How is that going to work with multiple upgrades? I have two desktops and a laptop all with the same Microsoft ID? IDK.
What about if you want to use a Local User Account and not a Microsoft ID, what then? IDK.

Reaction score
I don't think so.
The final build can not be pre-keyed. That would mean all install disk will be individually keyed to be different. The current builds are pre-keyed because they are beta builds, and the need to have separate keys is not necessary yet. The install media will be mass produced to be identical, therefor making the final build which does not include the key needed for activation.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I of course could be getting this all wrong but I suspect this whole Windows as a Service thing is about to be shown as your Microsoft ID being the "Key" to most things going forward.
My suspicions are that the product key for the Windows version that you're using at the time of the upgrade will somehow be incorporated into the mix somehow and then stored within your MS Account.

I certainly understand you're whole point about individual keys needing to be provided at some point during the upgrade process, which certainly makes more sense then the mystery and magic I'm suggesting, and......
Perhaps I'm over thinking it a bit, as I'm prone to do, but.....
If this tweet https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605987336392810496 is accurate and I'll be able to perform a clean install at any point in time for the life of this machine (some hardware changes I expect would cause some issues which may or may not be resolved with a phone call) then that would suggest that this key (where ever it comes from and where ever it resides) would be a full version (not an upgrade) key and I would then just need the ISO.

Which would be great as you can't normally perform a clean install of a Microsoft OS using an Upgrade Key (without hacking the registry).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Remember when I speculated above in post 11 of this thread that a product key (as we know it) might be, becoming a thing of the past with all the hype around "Windows as a Service" in Windows 10 and how some, most, all of you thought I might have lost it??
Well..... here's someone else who may have lost it.
http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-could-be-saying-good-bye-to-product-keys-with-windows-10/

Keep an open mind, it's not actually all that hard to imagine.

Reaction score
Would that not be saying hello to an app that takes care of your product keys, instead of saying bye to product keys?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I don't really know.
But I suspect that product keys (as we know them) will go away. Sort of the way that Office 365 works now, I believe you type in your email address associated with your purchase.
Your MS Account will take care of everything and I suspect they will still use Product IDs (which I believe are unique) and coordinate everything through the Activation Service, which I suspect will compare your account information with a list of Product IDs that you own and will then give a thumbs up or thumbs down for activation. Still guessing, that there will also be some hardware IDs in the mix so they can keep track of the number of activations on which devices.

Reaction score
This is , I think the 5 BATA I have done for MICROSOFT .I deed 9 months of , it was good & I like 10 . I hope they stay to adding Deben as a Linux , put base CODE in Deben & rest in regular code , lest try to be smart , do not let that code out of USA and we won't get hacked . I know that my not seem right , but let us face it . As a partner I get calls 1 or 2 times a week saying there are MICROSOFT .

Reaction score
hi Ive been a win 10 preview tester since day one and have pretty good results. Slowly I have been using the preview more than often and dont go back to Win 8.1 except to check updates. Just a few little annoying problems but nothing serious or lifethreatening

Reaction score
cant speak for others but I don't find the current version of the preview on my machine as any where near completed ...... the Edge viewer continually shuts down during video streaming .. the mouse movement is horrible .. there are programs(like Skype) that do not seem to be able to be shut down other than by task manager or computer shut down ..I just play around at night but the overall experience is NOT good.

Ask a Question