SOLVED So How Safe

Reaction score
So how safe can you make your laptop/desktop on windows 10 when the updates finish and it can't take windows 11?.

Reaction score
You could put a 3rd party clever firewall like pfsense in front of it and use Gmail on the web or better your own clever mail handling stuff with strong antivirus etc on the firewall pc. There was a long article about doing just that on Ars Technica a couple of years back. I considered doing it as a project. I have an old PC I could have used. I have enough Linux-fu to be able to do it but in the end I just couldn't be bothered.

It would be cheaper (and much easier) just to buy a new uptodate PC sometime in the next 4 years.

Reaction score
Windows is an monopoly, is, will always be, we suffer it. Not your Computer any longer, now a Microsoft enforced opportunity for them only.

Reaction score
Windows is an monopoly, is, will always be, we suffer it. Not your Computer any longer, now a Microsoft enforced opportunity for them only.
Looks like your only choice is Linux. Be prepared to learn how to use the command line!

Reaction score
Be prepared to learn how to use the command line!
Depending on the distro this may be true or not. It's a good thing to be familiar with, but I can easily live outside the terminal if I need to. The only time I've NEEDED to use the terminal is to fix something that may not be working correctly, or to provide system info when looking for support. No need to scare someone away with such a broad statement. If I can live in linux, anyone can. My friend is living in Lubuntu, which I setup for him 2 years ago, and he's never needed the terminal once. I used it once for him to install a snap.

Reaction score
Looks like your only choice is Linux. Be prepared to learn how to use the command line!
Nowadays most Linux distros can be used without ever going into the command terminal and the little bit that might have to be done via the command terminal is what copy and paste is for.

Last edited:

Ask a Question