software on 32bit vs 64bit

Reaction score
I have an old desktop that was running Win7 that I upgraded to Win10. Since this was an older machine that was upgraded to Win7, it was 32bit.

Also, on this machine I have an old version of Quicken (6.0, from way back in the DOS days) It runs fine after the upgrade to WIn10 32bit. In addition, I have a copy of Delphi 7 that I've been running for years. And yes, it also runs fine on Win10, with the exception of the help files.

I also have a Lenovo laptop. It was acquired when a customer returned it with a PGP locked drive. I ended up putting a SSD drive in the thing. I had a valid license key for the thing as Win7 Pro so I did a clean install of Win10 as 64bit with that key. It's up an running great, and fast, with 8Gig of memory.

But I tried to copy over a copy of my Quicken 6.0. No go. It just refuses to run.

I also tried to install Delphi 7 on the laptop. The install just refuses to install.

I'm beginning to suspect it's a 64bit issue more than a Win10 issue.

The Delphi 7 issue isn't as important, as I'm starting to convert over to Lazarus, which is a free workalike and more powerful. But I really don't want to give up my Quicken, since it has my history on it from as far back as 1996.

I can leave the desktop as 32bit if I have to, or upgrade Quicken I suppose (I'd have to buy a premium upgade, the lower levels don't import data) but I'd like to know.

Hmm, create a dos box or environment for Quicken?

Any recomendations?

Reaction score
What exactly is the error message when the applications refuse to run? The applications may require a 16-bit environment that is no longer available in a 64-bit system.

With "Windows on Windows" you will notice the 16 bit emulation in a 32 bit OS. And with "WoW64" the emulation is now 32 bit for 64 bit Operating Systems.

I can't say if that is your issue. I'm not familiar with your software and don't know for sure if they are 16 bit or 32 bit applications. But it is a question that comes to mind, when I see people commenting about old software in a 64 bit topic.

Reaction score
Well, Quicken 6.0 is from all the way back in 1992, so it's probably 16 bit!

When I try to run in on the laptop with a 'fresh virgin install' of 16 bot Win10, I get a blue screen that say APP can not be run.

It runs fine when I run it on the machine that was upgraded to Win10 with it already installed and running Win7 before the upgrade. But that machine is 32 bit.

Originally I found the issue with my Delphi 7, and I thought it was related to the installed or installing issue, then I realized it maybe a 32 vs 64 bit issue. Especially since Quicken is self contained. I put a copy of it (two directories with subdirectories) on my NAS drive (a drive directly attached to my home router) from my WinXP Pro laptop and then just copied to each of the systems, with Win7 that was later converted to Win10 and to the Win10 system. No 'install' was needed.

With the Delphi 7 system, the issue is that I can't run an install, but it runs fine on the desktop, which was actually Vista when Delphi 7 was installed, then upgraded to Win7, then recently to Win10

Reaction score
With the Delphi 7 system, the issue is that I can't run an install, but it runs fine on the desktop, which was actually Vista when Delphi 7 was installed, then upgraded to Win7, then recently to Win10
During the transition to 32 bit many application designers continued to use 16 bit installers. My father has an application he likes playing with in his spare time. It is a 32bit application but the installer is 16 bit. Since the installer is 16 bit it wouldn't install. Luckily the program works fine without needing to be installed and all we had to do was copy the installed folder from an older 16/32 bit system over to a 64 bit system.

Aside from all the small talk above, I'm afraid your only options are.
  1. Use the 32 bit Windows version
  2. Make use of a 16 bit or 32 bit Windows virtual install
  3. Purchase new software that will suffice

Ask a Question