Sound Keeps Shutting Off

Reaction score
I've found that when I start up my computer, after a random amount of time (but always when I'm away from my computer), my computer will do two things. First, the sound will shut off. No sound will play from any sources. Second, if I try to play a video, it will play very slowly and with a lot of stuttering. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reaction score
I suppose the first two things I would suggest is to check the Task Manager Performance page to see what differences there may be between the times with the sound is working and when it stops.

The second thing would be to run the Sound troubleshooter which you can start by right clicking the speaker icon and selecting the troubleshooting option.

Does the speaker change when the sound stops? Any error or warning messages in Event Viewer?

I was losing my Wireless connection for a few days and the Network Trouble shooter showed me the Wireless services had been stopped for some reason. Not sure why it was stopped but I restarted it and now my wireless is stable. Perhaps some service related to sound is doing something similar on your system.

Do you feel the problem could be related to some activity such as streaming video?

Reaction score
I tried troubleshooting the sound but it can't find anything wrong. What I did notice if this: I used my computer for about 2 hours this morning with no issues. The sound never stops working while I am actively using it. I was away from my computer for about an hour, came back, and now it won't work. The sound comes through an HDMI cable to my monitor. My monitor is set to sleep after about an hour....do you think that might have something to do with it? Thanks Saltgrass!

Reaction score
If the monitor goes to sleep it could be related. I suggest you either change the sleep settings on the monitor to see if the problem follows or output the sound to a different device so the monitor won't effect that output.

Ask a Question