Speakers Not Working After Update From Windows 7

Reaction score
I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system connected to my computer, which has always worked fine when running windows 7, however as soon as I upgraded, windows 10 will not play any sound through them.

- The volume is turned up on the system as well as the speakers
- Not on mute
- Have tried reinstalling the drivers

I can't think what else it would be. When I open up the playback device menu, it says that sound should be playing through the speakers, however I get nothing.
What baffles me is when I open realtek HD Audio manager to test all of the speakers, I can make them play a sample sound through that, however no other applications will play sound.

Anyone got any ideas?

http://imgur.com/UdViATv

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Toby and welcome to the forum.
however no other applications will play sound.
Does that include Windows Media Player? Have you tried playing music using that app?
You may want to try reinstalling the RealTek drivers from here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
IF that doesn't seem to help with the problem then you may need to experiment with different sampling rates
When you have your speakers selected as in the above image you linked in your post, click the properties button and in the Speakers Properties dialog box select the advanced tab, use the drop down to choose various sampling rates and the test button to work through the issue.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Hello Toby and welcome to the forum.

Does that include Windows Media Player? Have you tried playing music using that app?
You may want to try reinstalling the RealTek drivers from here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
IF that doesn't seem to help with the problem then you may need to experiment with different sampling rates
When you have your speakers selected as in the above image you linked in your post, click the properties button and in the Speakers Properties dialog box select the advanced tab, use the drop down to choose various sampling rates and the test button to work through the issue.

View attachment 1658

Thanks for the response. Yes, this does include windows media player.
I've just installed the drivers from the link you provided, restarted the computer, and tried every single audio format in the drop down, still no joy *sigh*.
Thanks for the advice though

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try doing the same thing in the Realtek HD Audio Manager under the Default Format tab

Reaction score
Try doing the same thing in the Realtek HD Audio Manager under the Default Format tab

Still no joy...
I've played around with some of the settings in that manager, and it will now play sound out of the sub, but not the surrounding speakers. Progress is being made.

Reaction score
Still no joy...
I've played around with some of the settings in that manager, and it will now play sound out of the sub, but not the surrounding speakers. Progress is being made.
I know this may sound crazy but do you have a Nividia graphics card? When I upgraded I found that the upgrade selected a basic video driver and sound driver and was not able to get any sound. Once I updated with the latest Nvidia driver, the sound was back.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I do have an nVidia GPU but I don't use any of the associated features for sound output.

Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy but do you have a Nividia graphics card? When I upgraded I found that the upgrade selected a basic video driver and sound driver and was not able to get any sound. Once I updated with the latest Nvidia driver, the sound was back.

I do have a Nvidia card. Installed the latest drivers but still no joy. I've found a little workaround which will do for now. If I go onto playback devices > properties > enhancements, tick the environment box and change the setting to Room, this allows sound through front two speakers, front middle and sub. Will do for now! Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Ask a Question