SOLVED SSD Boot problems

Reaction score
Hello
I have cloned my windows 10 HDD to a Sandisk 480GB SSD, using AOMEI Backupper Standard. The new disks are labelled F: and H:
How do I make my Samsung laptop boot up using the new disk letters?

Reaction score
I have cloned HDDs to SSDs several times. When I have done the clone I unplug the original C: (SATA port 0) and plug in the new SSD into that port and boot. I leave the old C: unplugged until the new disk has come up successfully as C.

I have never used AOMEI, always Paragon or the software that used to come with Samsung SSDs.

Reaction score
Hello
I have cloned my windows 10 HDD to a Sandisk 480GB SSD, using AOMEI Backupper Standard. The new disks are labelled F: and H:
How do I make my Samsung laptop boot up using the new disk letters?

Does this mean you have both drives in your laptop??
if that is the case you may choose the new drive by pressing [F10] at startup to get into the boot menu and choose the new drive even though it does not make sense to me......

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As Tim has pointed out.
Typically, after restoring an image or performing a drive to drive clone, it is generally best practice to remove (disconnect) the source drive from the computer.
Most cloning software will have some instructions as to this procedure.
You can generally only have one "active" partition marked as such.

Reaction score
When I did this on a laptop I had the case open and did the cloning with the SSD plugged in USB3. Then I disconnected the battery and swapped the drives over. On a desktop I used a spare SATA port and then replaced the old drive. In both cases the boot brought up the new drive and that was it.

Reaction score
When I did this on a laptop I had the case open and did the cloning with the SSD plugged in USB3. Then I disconnected the battery and swapped the drives over. On a desktop I used a spare SATA port and then replaced the old drive. In both cases the boot brought up the new drive and that was it.
Thanks again for all your help

Reaction score
I wasn't clear Samsung provides a USB2 to SATA drive gadget with some SSDs. Relies on USB power being enough to power a SSD. You'd want a laptop to be on its charger to do this...fatal if you run out of battery half way throuhj.
I also have a separate powered USB2/3 to SATA gadget which I use for plugging in spare drives or plugging HDDs into Raspberry 2 USB ports which can't provide power.

Ask a Question