SSD prevents upgrade

Reaction score
I could not upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my newly built pc. It was all new stuff except for an older SSD. I tried at least six times in various ways. Then I swapped SSD's and was able to do it. It seems the older SSD was causing the problem. I have heard this from others too.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It seems the older SSD was causing the problem
Was this one of those deals where you couldn't expand the size of the "System Reserved" partition, which on Windows 7 was 100 MB and 10 needs triple that or more?
OR
Could it have been a firmware issue, where the older SSD needed a firmware update from the Manufacturer?

Just asking, as things like this tend to bring out my inner-geek.

Reaction score
You may be right about the firmware and I will look into that tomorrow as I am still using that SSD with Windows 7 on board. It is currently installed in a mini pc which can not upgrade to Windows 10 without a BIOS update. I am not anxious to attempt the BIOS update so It is fine as is. Still, I am confident in Windows 10's stability at this point and would happily upgrade and not miss Windows 7 at all.

I thought Windows 10 would create its 450 MB recovery partition in addition to the 100 MB partition as it has on the SSD drives on which I have loaded 10 that previously had Windows 7 (not an upgrade).

Last edited:

Ask a Question