Start button does not work

Reaction score
My computer tech had me download Windows 10 on my husband's computer. While we were using it last night the Start button quit working. Part of the toolbar were deleted also. Can you help me? It appears this is a common Windows 10 issue. I have tried all the fixes I can find, but am hesitant to download from unknown sources.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried turning the computer off
Use Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination. That should produce a screen with a power icon in the bottom right to shut down the computer.
Give it a minute and turn it back on. Some members have reported that rebooting will sometimes clear the problem.

Reaction score
Update/upgrade Windows 10 to the latest version using Windows Update. Also, if you are attaching any external USBs or HDDs as the PC is starting up, remove those first. These are known to conflict with the Windows 10 start up process and graphically glitch the desktop.

Reaction score
Have you tried turning the computer off
Use Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination. That should produce a screen with a power icon in the bottom right to shut down the computer.
Give it a minute and turn it back on. Some members have reported that rebooting will sometimes clear the problem.

Reaction score
No I had to manually shut it off and on. By posing down the power button. It's been shut off over 10 times. That hasn't fixed anything. From looking at other websites this is a common Windows 10 issue. Shutting it off did nothing to help the problem. Please help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
We probably need to determine what you can and or cannot do.
You say that the start button doesn't work and part of the toolbar which I assume means the taskbar was deleted, so.....
What exactly can you do.
When you start up your computer, do you get a lock screen and then a sign in screen, at the sign in screen do you see a power icon in the bottom right of the screen.
Can you hold the shift button while using that icon to restart your computer and then advance to the troubleshooting options startup settings to select #4 Safe Mode or #5 Safe Mode with networking.
You say when you use Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination nothing happens, you do not get a screen with a power icon??

Ask a Question