start button doesn't work

Reaction score
I upgraded from Windows 7. The start button doesn't work and on rare occasions when it does, the applications don't work either.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you use the Windows Logo Key + I key to open settings and check for Windows Updates and see if there are any pending.
There was one release within the last couple days which some people seem to be only now receiving which fixed some of the mysterious problems with the start menu.

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. It is up to date. I have removed pretty much everything I can think of from the start menu and uninstalled some stuff like DVD burners. The start button now works, but none of the applications work except Microsoft Edge and Cortana, and a couple of programs that have nothing to do with the Windows store. But I can't get any of the other Apps (Office, Weather, Photos, App store), and the App store won't open. For what it's worth I did a sfc /scannow that said it couldn't repair some things and refers to a CBS log that goes on and on

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Ask a Question