Start button isn't working

Reaction score
Hello, I am suddenly having a weird problem, and I can't seem to fix it. I cannot left click on the Start button in the lower left side of the screen. When I click on it, nothing happens (although a loading circle does often appear around my cursor). Also, hitting the Windows button on my keyboard does the same thing. In addition, when I try to right click on any programs that are open or pinned in the toolbar at the bottom, the same thing happens. Weirdly enough, I can right click the Start button and left click the pinned toolbar.

I have already tried a few things:
  • Opening Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Running the command "sfc /scannow"
  • Typing powershell and running the following command:
    • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
None of that seemed to work. I'm really at a loss. Thanks in advance for any help!

Small Update: Just noticed that the bottom right corner of the screen (where the volume mixer and internet connect icons are) is behaving like the Start button. Can't left click, can right click.

*Jyrakos

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try creating a new user, as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user).
Log off as you and log on as the new user you just created and see if the problem is global or unique to your profile only.

Reaction score
Ok, the problem is only happening on my current user, not on the user I just created.

Ask a Question