Start Button not working

Reaction score
Hi there
My Start button has stopped working today. Cortana doesn't work either. I've spent hours looking at different threads...

Tried Windows + R, types ms-settings: Error message: this app can't run on your PC

Checked latest windows update which was today Microsoft Silverlight 5.1.50428.0

I've logged out and logged back in.
I've rebooted the laptop

Nothing has worked. Please can somebody help me fix this....

Reaction score
Try this solution to fix the problem with Powershell
Right-click on the start button.

Click on "Command Prompt (Admin)".
Enter "Powershell" and press "Enter".
Paste the following command into the Command Prompt:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Press "Enter".
Wait until PowerShell is finished executing and completing the command.

There may appear some errors (in red color). Just ignore these errors.
Hopefully the Windows 10 start menu will work again when it's finished.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
As I said, the start button does not work. Right clicking does not work on the start button or the taskbar and neither does Cortana so I can't get to the command prompt to insert powershell. Is there a combination of keys that will get me there?
After reading a few posts (for the last day) I see that explorer.exe is required for the start button, taskbar among other things. I went into Task Manager and see that my explorer.exe is "suspended" whereas everything else is running. (See below screenshot) could this have anything to do with it?

Thanks again for getting back to me and hope to hear from you soon

upload_2016-6-25_14-20-9.png

Reaction score
Do you notice that the actual explorer.exe process is running below the suspended process?

Reaction score
Capture.PNG
Hi, I am having the same problem, the start button does not work. Have attached a snippit of my task manager and as you can see there are 3 item's that have been suspended. Is this my problem and if it is how do I fix it?
Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Isn't it great when simple fixes give us the greatest satisfaction.

Ask a Question