SOLVED Start button quit working.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Try this as a test.....
At the sign-in screen, don't sign in.
Use the power icon on the bottom of the screen, while holding the shift key and choosing restart.
Navigate through the Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting screens until you arrive at the screen that provides "Startup settings"
Click that and when you restart, choose #5 Safe Mode with Networking.
Ignore any messages that may pop up reporting something like this app can't start / run and ignore the fact that everything looks big and ugly, it's using a default VGA driver for video.
A lot of Apps won't work, but just to test your start button, click it and scroll down to Windows Accessories and click Internet Explorer and see if it works and will launch the browser.
After a minute or two just use the start button to choose restart. See if the start button now works in normal boot.

Screen3.JPG

Reaction score
Strangely enough, after I read your reply I turned off my computer (using the manual off button which I have had to use for a few days now) but this time for some unknown reason I held down the button longer and it actually shut all the way down. Before, it just went into a sleep mode. It took a very long time to boot up. At the sign in screen I pressed the power icon and shift key but nothing happened. I signed in and just for kicks I tried the start button and it worked. Thanks for your help, doesn't matter that I was not able to go though your suggestion, it works now!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
doesn't matter that I was not able to go though your suggestion, it works now!
:) indeed..... that's all that is important.
Glad to hear that you managed to work through it and get it resolved.
Thanks for the follow-up
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and tried everything, nothing helped, then I came across this. I held the off button down longer than normal as you recommended.

When I switched on, it was just as you described it took longer to boot up, BUT IT WORKED, I now have my start button back, thanks so much goth princess for sharing that.

Reaction score
I had the same problem and tried everything, nothing helped, then I came across this. I held the off button down longer than normal as you recommended.

When I switched on, it was just as you described it took longer to boot up, BUT IT WORKED, I now have my start button back, thanks so much goth princess for sharing that.
What/where is the "Off Button" you mention? I have a button on the case, used to startup the computer from cold. It lights up when the comp. is running and blinks when it is sleeping. It is not used for anything else. The only way I have to turn the computer off is to do Start > Power > Shut down.

Ask a Question