"Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in"

Reaction score
Everything was working fine suddenly a critical error message appears: "Star menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in". It let me work but I cant remove that message from the screen except if I sign out. I did several times and the same error appears again. What I did wrong and what I can do to fix it? only wait from Microsoft to try to fix it?
I'll wait your advice, Thank you.

JLG

Reaction score
I have the same problem and I am very frustrated as well . I cannot get into any of my programs or files!!

Reaction score
I also have the same problem. Will try ant fix, and don't have any error msg's. Did try "sfc /scannow" as administrator on power shell and found and fixed corrupted files, was no help, did this on cmd and found no problems.

Reaction score
After installing Windows 10, I got the message, " * Critical Error * Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. " As directed, I logged out and back in, shut off and restarted several times, but nothing worked. Web search showed you could revert to the previous version of Windows, but the critical error message wouldn’t let me use anything. Even installed programs compatible with Win10 like Adobe InDesign weren’t working properly.

I tried a lot of the fixes on forums and finally gave up and called Microsoft. After 2 hours on the phone with a very patient tech, I was able to roll back to my previous version, 8.1. Try this:

1. In the critical error message, click to log out.

2. Don’t log in. At the bottom right, click the power symbol, then click Restart and hold down the Shift key. Keep holding Shift down while the computer goes down and restarts. This should take you to a Windows menu page with a number of options. The last option will allow you to revert to your previous version of Windows.

3. If your computer comes back to the login window, repeat hold down Shift and Restart. I had to do it 3 times before it gave me the menu.

My computer hung up during the reversion process. It looked like it was working since the cursor was spinning, but I was getting no action on my disk drive light. The tech said shut it down, so I held down the power key for a hard shutdown. Then I turned the power back on and the reversion restarted. This time I was back to my old version and everything looks fine.

I’m committed to going to Windows 10. At least now I know I can go back if it doesn’t work next time.

Reaction score
I to started having same problem. Has anyone had success in fixing it? this has my files that I use tied up . Do we wait for a Windows 10 fix or take our chances fixing on our own?

Reaction score
After installing Windows 10, I got the message, " * Critical Error * Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. " As directed, I logged out and back in, shut off and restarted several times, but nothing worked. Web search showed you could revert to the previous version of Windows, but the critical error message wouldn’t let me use anything. Even installed programs compatible with Win10 like Adobe InDesign weren’t working properly.

I tried a lot of the fixes on forums and finally gave up and called Microsoft. After 2 hours on the phone with a very patient tech, I was able to roll back to my previous version, 8.1. Try this:

1. In the critical error message, click to log out.

2. Don’t log in. At the bottom right, click the power symbol, then click Restart and hold down the Shift key. Keep holding Shift down while the computer goes down and restarts. This should take you to a Windows menu page with a number of options. The last option will allow you to revert to your previous version of Windows.

3. If your computer comes back to the login window, repeat hold down Shift and Restart. I had to do it 3 times before it gave me the menu.

My computer hung up during the reversion process. It looked like it was working since the cursor was spinning, but I was getting no action on my disk drive light. The tech said shut it down, so I held down the power key for a hard shutdown. Then I turned the power back on and the reversion restarted. This time I was back to my old version and everything looks fine.

I’m committed to going to Windows 10. At least now I know I can go back if it doesn’t work next time.

Reaction score
I did this and every month the same error pops up. I don't have time to uninstall and reinstall, it keeps coming back up. It will be fine for about a month then same error and message. It did this in August, September, and now again today in October. It's really frustrating. I'm going to try to call to see if I can somehow revert back to window 8.1 but was told previously by a not so pleasant rep that I couldn't.

Reaction score
Everything was working fine suddenly a critical error message appears: "Star menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in". It let me work but I cant remove that message from the screen except if I sign out. I did several times and the same error appears again. What I did wrong and what I can do to fix it? only wait from Microsoft to try to fix it?
Hi, I had the same problem but found a site by Roland Bitunjac which solved the problem after hours of trying.
Can send you a copy if you cannot find it

Reaction score
I have the same problem and I am very frustrated as well . I cannot get into any of my programs or files!!
Hi, try a site by Roland Bitunjac, fixed it for me easily

Reaction score
I have had the same problem "Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in".
I have solved the problem, in an easy way.
1. Press the button on the error message, to log off.
2. When prompted for login, press the on/off button on the right bottom side, and select restart.
The computer finishes the update, and after the restart it all worked normal again.

C

ChaHa504

I have had the same problem "Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in".
I have solved the problem, in an easy way.
1. Press the button on the error message, to log off.
2. When prompted for login, press the on/off button on the right bottom side, and select restart.
The computer finishes the update, and after the restart it all worked normal again.
I've just spent about two hours following directions for a fix for this error. Finally found your post and it worked. Thank you!

Ask a Question