Start Menu Different From Upgrade and Fresh Install

AGB

Reaction score
Last Aug I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 and my start menu Looks like the Following on the left.
The image on the right is from a fresh install on a new HDD.
upload_2016-8-22_15-46-51.png

As you can see the one on the left has the icons for "File Explorer", "Settings", "Power", and "All Apps" along with the descriptions next to them. The one on the right just has the Icons for "User Account Settings" which is on the lower section instead of the top left corner, "Settings ", and "Power" without descriptions next to them. Also the one on the right has all the installed applications expanded. I went into "Settings -> "personalization" -> "Start" and tried to adjust the different switches to see if they would Change the "Start" menu to look like the one on the left with no success. I tried to do every thing I could think of except turn the monitor upside down and shake it. :) :) Is. there a fix for this or am I stuck with the results.

Also I have another problem which probably should be posted at another site, but I will try here. For whatever reason when both these computers go into sleep mode and you wake them up they pixilate at the top and the other one as you can see at the Windows Menu Start Icon on the right image pixilates at the bottom and in spots along the bottom. When they are cold booted they are OK until they go into sleep mode then wakened again. I hope you can give me help with these two situations.

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-22_15-46-20.png
    upload_2016-8-22_15-46-20.png
    278 KB · Views: 500

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The one on the left is from build 10586.xxx (1511) and the one on the right is from build 14393,xx (1607).
The "All Apps" selection is no longer present in or after the Anniversary upgrade.
Check your versions by running
winver
From the run command and inspect the actual build and version numbers on both.

AGB

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The fresh install was just done last week Aug15, 2016. I created an install ISO and put it on a DVD from the Windows download Early that morning and I thought it would be the latest version. If I run "check Updates" will it find the latest version and install it?

AGB

Reaction score
Sorry after rereading your reply I see the one that I installed last week is the latest. I wonder why they changed it and why they put the user "Change Account Settings" down toward the bottom.

Ask a Question