Start menu not working and can't connect to wifi

Reaction score
Hello,
recently I ran to several problems on my windows 10 laptop. My laptop is 4K version of Lenovo Y50. It may have to do something with recent updates, but I am not sure when it occured. So, first problem is, that my start menu is not working. When I press the start button either on my keyboard or in the corner of my screen nothing happens and the same with search bar on my taskbar. Also, some of the icons on right side of taskbar aren't working and one of them is wifi. I just can't find a way to connect to wifi. When I tried it on locked screen it said "
connecting to the network is taking longer than usual" and did nothing. I also can't open the windows 8/10 special settings, it does nothing wherever I try to open it. I am also not home right now and can't connect with ethernet cable which seems to work.
Thanks for reading this post and thanks for help in advance.

P.S. Sorry if my English isn't very good.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum, and..... your English is fine.
Have you tried a system restore to a point in time before this problem started before those "recent updates" were applied.

NVH

Reaction score
Hello,
I am experiencing a similar problem on my HP notebook with the start menu not working. It stopped working yesterday (16/2) and when I selected the start menu a medium size blue screen pops up with a message "critical error and it will attempt to fix at startup" it then signs me out of the session.
The first symptom there was something amiss was I couldn't open attachments in email messages, this error message read "not enough memory to save the file"?? I was only trying to open the attachment not save it anywhere .
I did the restore to a few days prior to when the problem occurred, I think it may have fixed the email issue but not the start menu issue. I did spend a couple of hours with the HP on line support and a system recovery or reset seems to be the answer? I hope that is not the only answer.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum, and..... your English is fine.
Have you tried a system restore to a point in time before this problem started before those "recent updates" were applied.
Thanks for reply, but I've got only one restore point from 2 days ago and at that time it was already broked. Any other ideas what to do?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you go to Programs and Features in Control Panel
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
In the left column click the link that says "View installed updates"
Click the column header that says "Installed On" to sort by date.
If you are absolutely convinced that a Windows Update caused your problem then ......
Scroll if need to the area marked "Microsoft Windows"
You could then select and use the "Uninstall" button at the top to uninstall the update(s).
It'll likely just re-install at some point soon, but at least it might give you an idea as to which one is causing the issue.

Ask a Question