Start Menu Not Working

Reaction score
HI. I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 about two weeks ago. It worked fine for a few days then the problems began. When I click on the start menu button, I get a critical error message saying "the start menu isn't working; we'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." I clicked the shut down button attached to the error message and shut the system down. I restarted and went to my desktop again. I tried the start menu button and received the same error message. I was able to log on to my son's desktop on the same computer. The start menu works on his desktop. I ran the SFC Scan and received the message that there weren't any integrity violations. I then tried to revert back to Windows 8.1 from the settings menu. I received the following error message: WDF_Violation. It restarted my computer, but could not take Windows 10 off and put Windows 8.1 back on. Every day something new happens. Now I cannot shut the computer off. I use the power button and select shut down. It attempts to shut down but it brings me back to the login window. Please help. I can't get rid of Windows 10, can't get Windows 8.1 back, and 've had no success with the forum suggestions. I'm stuck with a crippled Windows 10. Can I get someone from Microsoft to remotely access my computer to see what's going on and fix it?

Reaction score
I have been going through the same crap u r going through. MS has gone my computer twice and messed it up worse both times. I finally was able to revert to the past version of windows, not my 8, but the original install of windows 10, I got my task bar back with cornellia or whatever its called and my speakers which went off when ms re downloaded windows again. I still don t have my start menu opening up, just my desktop

Ask a Question