Start Menu Opens on Bootup

Reaction score
Hi!

Sometime over the last month or so, every time fire-up my laptop, the start menu is open. I can click anywhere outside it and it will close, and does behave normally. It's more annoying than trouble. I don't consider myself a noob, but this is perplexing as I cannot find a setting to start up the OS without the start menu being open. Maybe a reg hack?

My assumption is MS did this in some recent update trying to introduce me to their new way of thinking. I only think this as after I upgraded to 10, I deleted all the tiles in the start menu that I didn't want. One day about a month ago, more came back. I figured it was MS trying to sell me on tiles, yet again.

TIA... Murph

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Murph and welcome to the forum.
Have you checked to see if the issue is somehow unique to your user profile.
Perhaps try creating a new local user as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user) and log on as the new user and see if the issue persists.
I haven't personally seen, heard nor experienced the problem myself and obviously have no way of duplicating the issue, so......
Other than, the above I can only suggest that perhaps you try using the native System File Checker (if the problem is still present across all user accounts), to see if it finds any system integrity violations but if it is a profile issue then it would not be related to system files.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble. Being Irish, my stubbornness kept me at it. I found where the setting was I needed: Settings --> Personalization --> Start. I turned all of it off and it boots up normally now. Lot's of hidden gems in this OS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress and the solution you discovered.

Ask a Question