Start menu won't open, missing bottom right icons.

Reaction score
So my laptop, which has been on Windows 10 for a while now, updated last night after I went to bed. So now the start menu won't open and I don't have the icons on the bottom right corner (time, wifi, etc.). I read several old posts about doing the "powershell" thing but it won't let me because it said I have to run it as an administrator on the console. So I'm stuck there because it's my laptop, wouldn't I automatically have admin rights on my own device? Please advise!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
wouldn't I automatically have admin rights on my own device?
Yes.... typically the first account you configure when setting up Windows 10 or the previous account that you were using when you upgrade to Windows 10 will by default, be a member of the local administrators group.
Sounds like something didn't finish completely.
Try using the Ctrl + Alt + Delete Keyboard combination to produce a screen with the power icon in the bottom right and try shutting down your computer, waiting for a bit and then restarting.
See if that helps at all, you might have to do it a couple times.

Ask a Question