Start menu won't pop up

Reaction score
GRRR this was working fine yesterday.

But this morning I tried to open my start menu and it refuses to pop up. See the video this isn't me but is another user and his is the same exact problem I am having.

Task bar is displayed and you can right click on it or the start button fine but if you left click the start button it just spins a second and then does nothing else no menu pops up at all. I see from searching this is a major bug as lot of users are now having this issue!

I also tried what he did to at least get the full screen menu pulled up and for me that did not work!

I even tried to restart my system and same thing so it wasn't just a bad start up as the restart did not resolve it and I am weary about having to redo my whole system

Has a solution for this issue been found????? If so how is it fixed?????

Reaction score
I had the same issue all week. Finally found a fix though. Turns out it was an issue with one of the recent security updates that was installed onto my machine this month.

Here's what I did.
- Hit win + r and type in ms-settings:
- Scroll down to Update & Security, go to windows update, advanced options, view your update history, uninstall updates
- Under Microsoft Windows there should be a security update that was installed around the 12th (for me at least)
[just uninstall the most recent if nothing else]
- reboot when it asks you to and presto, start menu is back!

Windows is likely to just reinstall the update later but hopefully this will tide us over til they figure their sh*t out. Very frustrating, I know. >:\

Reaction score
I had the same problem. The solution was to UNINSTALL Avast Antivirus. I then installed AVG and the problem is solved.

Reaction score
Neither worked and Windows already reinstalled updates when I shut down last night.

Plus I don't use avast on my computer I use a different company.

Reaction score
OK guys here is the exact fix.

Do the check for updates option first one in the option list!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

I found this on a Microsoft page and I did as it instructed and my start menu is working fine again.

Bear in mind the update is HUGE as it took me over 2 hours even at high speed to fully download and install this update so give yourself plenty of time to do this but once updated my start menu is now again working as it should!!!

Ask a Question