Starting Excel directly from files

Reaction score
I am using Windows 10 with Microsoft Office Home/Student 2013 package (version 15.0.5119.1000).

Excel works perfectly normally when I start it from the Excel icon.

But if I click directly on an Excel file, the Excel program starts up but the file is not opened; it just sits at the Excel screen waiting for me to select a file.

This didn't used to be a problem, so obviously some parameter or register entry has gotten changed or corrupted. For a while I had the same issue with Word, but it magically fixed itself. Any suggestions?

Jon in Pasadena

Reaction score
MIght i suggest you right click on that file and choose "open with..." and be sure to check the box "always use this app to open..."

Reaction score
Try this:
Right click an excel file. Select "Open with", then select "Choose another App". then excel executive. Mark, in the bottom of the same window "always use this App"

Reaction score
Tried that -- didn't work. I've been looking at the Trusted File settings, but I'm hesitant to play around with them.

Reaction score
Added a specific folder / subfolder to the trusted file setting list, but that didn't let me open a file in that specific folder

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Student Os, but, is it possible you need permissions? See, for example, if you can normally open an xls file from the "Sample" folder.

Reaction score
The problem is not completely with associations or Excel wouldn't load at all. It seems Excel is associated with the file extension correctly. For some reason the file is not being passed as a parameter for Excel to open. I'd say the issue is in the parameters for the association.

Edit:
Came across this page. It looks promising.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I confess I didn't grasp your problem - read the post too quickly. I assumed that axls file would not open when you clicked it, but would open from within Excel
Now, reading the post correctly, I am wondering if you very old version of Excel has incompatibility issues with more recent excel files.
You can rectify this by reregistering the program. Here is a detailed explanation:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...en-double-clicking-the-file?forum=officeitpro

Reaction score
There was a Compatibility Pack that came out soon after Office 2007 where Office2000, Office XP/2002 and Office 2003 could open the new formats introduced with Office 2007. The new file formats carried a 4 letter extension such as .docx, .xlsx, etc. Don't know if the software is still downloadable, may be called File Format Converter. I still have it, lets me keep using Office 2000 on Win10.

T_J

Reaction score
This may or may not relate to your problem. I have MS Office Starter 2010 (free Dell install on my 2012 Dell); Windows 10 Home 1809.

My 2010 Excel program opens any Excel file ( .xls or .xlsx) by double clicking on it in file explorer. This has worked since 2012 (Windows 7, Windows 10 since 2016) with no input from me. Office 2010 support ends Oct 13, 2020. I do get Office updates, because I have 'Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.' ON in the Advanced options of Windows Update. Do you get MS Office updates?

I bought MS Office 2000 for a 2000 Dell, which I used until 2012. Still have PC with Office 2000, just don't use much. I did use the Office compatibility pack for Office 2000; but never used for Office Starter 2010.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The compatibility pack was only for Office 2000, Office XP/2002 and Office 2003 and for the new formats of Office 2007 and later so as to enable working with the new format that had an x added to the file extension such as .docx, xlsx, etc. Office 2010 had what I consider a bigger change, was the first to be available as either 32-bit or 64-bit [64-bit software works only on 64-bit versions of Windows].

Ask a Question