Startup errors after Windows 10 installation

Reaction score
I have been reporting since November about messages I receive at startup. The first response I received stated it seemed like an incomplete installation. I tried re-installing a couple of times with no change. I ran autoruns as suggested and posted the results. I have heard nothing since then. I receive no Windows updates and can do nothing in Settings. This installation is on a desktop. I had no issues on my laptop, which I did first. I need help to get this resolved.

Reaction score
How did you perform the re-install?
Custom clean install?
In-place upgrade repair?

After the initial install, I tried re-installing. I didn't have the option to install with updates. I receive no Windows 10 updates.

Reaction score
I tried Windows Update in hopes of getting something that might help. Instead I got a message stating that updates could not be installed. The error code was 0X80240437.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What version of Windows 10 do you currently have installed?
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and in the run dialog box type
winver
hit enter or click OK.

Capture.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first thing I would recommend is....
Try clean booting the system and see if that produces any relief. Run it like that for a day or two and check Windows Update manually in the interim to make sure everything is up to date.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done and easily undone.
You're basically just disabling all Startup Items and all non-Microsoft services. Do no mess with the Microsoft services. Be sure to check the box to hide them before proceeding.

Then obtain the 1511 ISO from herehttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Windows 10 at the top of the list not single language at the bottom, correct language and bit version.

Use ImgBurn from here http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to burn it to a DVD or Rufus from here to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/ to create your installation media. Use that media to run setup.exe from within your current version of Windows to perform the in-place upgrade.

In advance of attempting the upgrade, this time, disconnect any and all USB connected peripherals, printers, any USB Dongles supporting wireless keyboards or mice and especially any that support wireless networking. Leaving only a wired USB keyboard and a USB wired mouse.
AND if you have any third party security suite software installed….. uninstall it completely including running the vendor specific, proprietary removal tool (Google it).

Early in the Upgrade process you will see an opportunity to download updates as part of the process.
DO NOT do that, so…. Uncheck the box or choose not now, or do this later or however it is presented just choose the NO response (it’s been a while so I don’t remember exactly how it is worded.

Reaction score
0X80240437
Can you confirm this error code. It is probably a good code but I can't find it. There are several threads with this error in other forums which seem to revolve around the Microsoft Store.

You have done a reinstall using the latest build?

Could you tell us a little more about your system and type of network connection? Updates won't normally work on a metered connection?

Where did you post the results from Autoruns?

You are installing the normal Windows 10 x64 version and not Enterprise or some international version?

Reaction score
I will verify code later as I am currently working on another system.

Cannot do a re-install. I get no Windows updates and get an error (see above code) when I run manually. No updates can be installed.

I am running 64 bit on a home, wireless network. I am not on a metered connection.

I posted a screen print in December on the forum. I received no response. I ran the program again last week and have a set of screen prints I have not yet posted.

I originally installed the normal version. I installed it successfully on my laptop.

Reaction score
The first thing I would consider is your network connection or some software related to that. If you are running through a router, check if it is running any type of firewall. Try using a wired connection.

Otherwise, if you have verified you are using a good version of the install media, I see no reason why a desktop would end up with the problems you seem to be having.

On that system are you showing a digital entitlement activation?

If this is a desktop, do you have a model or is it home built?

If you check the CBS log, it may tell you what the error is, just search it for that number. (Windows\Logs\CBS)

The Event Viewer may give you some clues if you check a little after the time you try to check for updates.

Reaction score
I am running in clean boot mode. I still get the start up errors. When I run windows update, I get the error that updates could not be installed. The error code is 0x80240437.

Ask a Question