Startup Password?

Reaction score
My PC screen suddenly went black and I have a dialogue box requesting a 'Startup Password'. I have no idea what it is so entered any password and it takes me to a blue screen with 'Automatic Repair' on the top advising me that my pc did not start correctly. I note that the dialogue box did not advise me my password was wrong!
It doesn't matter what I do - restart, turn it off, try all the advanced options - nothing works:( Windows will not load.

Any suggestions or help would be great:)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My PC screen suddenly went black and I have a dialogue box requesting a 'Startup Password'. I have no idea what it is so entered any password and it takes me to a blue screen with 'Automatic Repair' on the top advising me that my pc did not start correctly. I note that the dialogue box did not advise me my password was wrong!
It doesn't matter what I do - restart, turn it off, try all the advanced options - nothing works:( Windows will not load.

Any suggestions or help would be great:)
I'm not sure that the presence or absense of a Password prompt has much to do with your apparent repair loop.
My suggestion would be to boot from the installation media and independent of the current installation use the Advanced Troubleshooting tools there (second page click "Repair your Computer" link) and see if you can use....
Startup settings to boot the computer into Safe Mode and or Safe Mode with Networking.
System Restore to see if you can go back to a point in time prior to the problem
OR even
Startup Repair.... sometimes it works better when used from the installation media.

StartupSettings.PNG

Ask a Question