Still Not Notified!!!

Reaction score
Two other pc's in the house got their upgrade tool the same day. One waited 10 days, the other needed 2 KB updates and it went right to the upgrade. This HP ENVY is a year old with 8.1, it has the KB updates, but nothing is happening. Am I the only one still
waiting.

Reaction score
Two other pc's in the house got their upgrade tool the same day. One waited 10 days, the other needed 2 KB updates and it went right to the upgrade. This HP ENVY is a year old with 8.1, it has the KB updates, but nothing is happening. Am I the only one still
waiting.

Does this HP Envoy have the Get Windows 10 icon at the system tray ?
If yes, did you click it opened and make the reservation ?
Did it tell you your computer is compatible and ok for upgrade ?

Reaction score
waiting.

You have to remember that not every computer is getting the upgrade right away. As Microsoft and OEMs get all the updated drivers for their systems the upgrade icon will notify you when your system is ready to get Win10 installed.

Now you can force the upgrade by downloading an ISO from Microsoft and running setup from withing your current OS but there is the possibility it may not install and roll you back. So if you just can't wait, download an ISO.

Sam

Reaction score
David- yes, yes, and yes.
Sam, I will wait, but dude, I'm 72, how long will it take? Not gonna force it, this machine is too new to have to
force it. HP and Logitech, sigh. Thanks gentlemen,
Dale.

Reaction score
David- yes, yes, and yes.
Sam, I will wait, but dude, I'm 72, how long will it take? Not gonna force it, this machine is too new to have to
force it. HP and Logitech, sigh. Thanks gentlemen,
Dale.

OK.
1. Use the link below and download the Media Creation Tool.
Make sure you pick the correct bit-version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/soft...?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreationTool

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option.
That will create Windows 10 ISO file.

3. Right click at it > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
This method allows you to keep your files, settings and most of your apps.
This method does not require product key. It will activate automatically after installation.

I used the same method to install Win 10 on my 2 laptops.

Reaction score
I signed up to this forum just to say that I, as well, haven't received that famous notification, and yes, I have reserved my free Windows 10 copy, and yes, I have the Get Windows 10 app installed, and yes, my pc is marked as fully compatible, and yes, the $WINDOWS.~BT folder weighs 6,40GB. But I still ain't getting Microsoft's attention.

Thing is, I don't feel like "rushing things" with updating from the Media Creation tool. I half believe that if I haven't received the notification so far, there may indeed be compatibility problems of some kind. Maybe minor, but still. I have seen some user feedback on Reddit, and some stories scared the hell out of me.

So, nothing much for me to do: sit here, rant a little bit, hammer the "check for Windows update" button, and wait (im)patiently for the day that little popup comes.

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with compatibility. Some will not get the notification for weeks. Microsoft has already said that. If you click the icon, it will tell you if you have a compatibility issue. Download the Media Creation Tool. It's the easiest way to do it. Or wait until microsoft gets around to notifying you. It could be a while.

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with compatibility. Some will not get the notification for weeks. Microsoft has already said that. If you click the icon, it will tell you if you have a compatibility issue. Download the Media Creation Tool. It's the easiest way to do it. Or wait until microsoft gets around to notifying you. It could be a while.
I agree if you cant wait then Download the Media Creation Tool the end result will be the same.
If you want to wait it could be a while bit like watching paint dry. ;)

Reaction score
I'm going to wait. I also have the files. I forced one machine only to find out usb 2.0 would not work, so no
Logitech mouse! Fixed it, but that was probably the reason for no notification.

Reaction score
Reaction score
That's what I assumed, but we know the dangers in that! IF, there were a compatibility issue, would MS
indicate what it was?

Reaction score
That's what I assumed, but we know the dangers in that! IF, there were a compatibility issue, would MS
indicate what it was?
But this is what Bigfeet is trying to explain is you have reserved W10 it does a compatibility check which you can check yourself mine even told me my printer was o/k if its passed that stage then there is no reason not to use the Media Creation Tool or not the decision is yours.
There have been issues with the download installation with the reserved version as you will see on this forum.
Nothing is set in stone certainly not where computers are concerned.
But hopefully whatever way you chose it goes smoothly as millions have already.:)

Reaction score
indicate what it was?
But you've contradicted your own statement. If they were going to hide a compatibility issue, why put a hold on your notification. Microsoft has ZERO to gain hiding a compatibility issue. They are trying to repair a tarnished image from Windows 8. That's why the OS is a free upgrade for the first year.

There is no guarantee that you won't have issues. They can't run through the ten's of millions of different hardware configurations out there. It's impossible.

I'm sensing you're trying to find reasons not to do the upgrade. And that's ok. I've had two good upgrades and one bad one. That's how it goes.

edit: And I've still yet to be notified on any of my PC's.

Reaction score
No, I don't think so. Only one pc had an issue, and it did not get the two required KB updates. I used a cmd
line script to install those and then the Get Windows 10 appeared, and the install started. I used a tool to read
why MS was not giving me the tool, I had to drill down a ways, but eventually it said my version was invalid.
Wrong, the pc was custom, but the OS was official store bought and activated, probably just a fluke. It is
now running 10.

Reaction score
I'm telling you it's not. That's not how the notification process works. It's a staggered rollout so the servers don't get pounded all at once. Like I said, it will tell you right now if there's a compatibility issue. Wait if you must, but you're not understanding how the process works. http://techhelpkb.com/windows-10-compatibility-checker/
I believe that the worst part of the "pounding", as you say, is the simultaneous download of the physical copy of Windows 10, for obvious reasons of bandwidth.
Still, I have received the installation files in their entirety, and my hardware has already been flagged as "compatible". Microsoft only needs to validate that 20-byte-long string of my product key and activate for it a Windows 10 license.
I repeat: 20-byte-long.
That's hardly what you'd call a "pound" to a server, it's more like a gentle brush.
In my case, therefore, Microsoft has done the 99,99% of the work in terms of power, resources and bandwidth: I cannot believe that they're just holding up that 0,01% for... what? An unspecified queue? They just basically need to flip a switch, but they won't. Why? The only explanation I can come up with is, as I've said, minor compatibility problems.

This is why I have decided not to force the update: I want to make the transition to Windows 10 as smooth as possible. In the meantime, I keep receiving and installing Windows 8.1 updates, including driver updates: I'll take it as a sign of a closer Windows 10 upgrade! ;-)

Reaction score
I want to make the transition to Windows 10 as smooth as possible. In the meantime, I keep receiving and installing Windows 8.1 updates, including driver updates: I'll take it as a sign of a closer Windows 10 upgrade! ;-)
Many of the updates you are receiving / installing for Windows 8.1 are the same as you will be getting in Windows 10
I have just installed three updates in Windows 10 some of which are being offered for W8 & 8.1 ;)

Reaction score
Many of the updates you are receiving / installing for Windows 8.1 are the same as you will be getting in Windows 10
I have just installed three updates in Windows 10 some of which are being offered for W8 & 8.1 ;)

Can someone tell me in this thread please what is the size of the upgrade file.

I have it showing as Size 6.63 GB, Size on disc 5.10GB, 17,600 Files 3,611 Folder

I have this in my Updates and it keeps failing to install every day.

Reaction score
Can someone tell me in this thread please what is the size of the upgrade file.
I have it showing as Size 6.63 GB, Size on disc 5.10GB, 17,600 Files 3,611 Folder
I have this in my Updates and it keeps failing to install every day.
Quote.
The official upgrade offer warns that the approximate file size is 3 GB, although for most upgraders the actual package will be slightly smaller.

Reaction score
$Windows.~BT

This is what is showing in my Windows Folder and has the size that I have quoted previously

Is this what the upgrade is called? Am I correct in thinking this is the upgrade that is failing to install every day?

Reaction score
Mine shows 4.33GB, and it is failing repeated attempts. 7 tries today. The error code is 80240020, and if you Google that the MS website has an immediate dropdown saying you are in the que dude, be patient. I spent some time reinstalling IE11, no help. The wuauclt didn't work.

Ask a Question