STORE cache corruptiion

Reaction score
STORE cache corruption

Store apps work fine yet STORE apps troubleshooter reports that "Windows STORE cache may be damaged/corrupted."
Despite the following measures the error is "not fixed."

STORE has been reset (WSRESET).

STORE apps have been reregistered.
(Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}"

STORE cache has been cleared (per Brink's tutorial).

SFC /scannow and DISM /CheckHealth report no problems.

Curiously, disable User Account Control and rerun the troubleshooter and it will prompt that UAC must be enabled. After doing so, the troubleshooter reports that the UAC issue is fixed, and lists no other problems...

Potential issues that were checked
Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present
Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present
Service registration is missing or corrupt Issue not present
Microsoft account required Issue not present
Temporary Internet files location has changed Issue not present

...until the troubleshooter is run again. Then it's back to "cache may be damaged/corrupted. Not fixed."

Bug? Something overlooked? Ignore it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Sounds more like a glitch in the Registry,

Are you running any third party apps?

Or any third party registry cleaners?

Reaction score
Well, of course there are some 3rd-party apps. But as to the registry, CCleaner is rarely used and wasn't during the procedure described above.

There's a demo on the NET where running the STORE troubleshooter results in "corruption fixed" so it resolves this for some folks. Other than the message itself, there's no sign of store app corruption here.

Reaction score
Are you seeing any related messages in the Event Viewer?

Are you running an Anti-virus other than Defender?

Could be a problem with your selected location/country?

You might try uninstalling specific apps in case one has a problem. Perhaps a reinstall would correct it.

Reaction score
No errors, no other AV. Location is correct; hasn't changed in 25 years.

Ran the above test on a laptop that has a recent fresh install of the same build, though it's HOME instead of PRO. Results were identical, so this likely isn't a machine-specific issue, though some of the same apps (very few) are installed on the laptop.

More a curiosity than a problem, and not worth the hassle of uninstalling programs.

Tnx

Regedit32

Reaction score
The WSRESET only restores the Store cache.

As you have third party apps you need to reset their cache manually which may resolve the issue you are describing.

To do that:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control appears click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt that opens type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    wmic useraccount get name,sid

Press Enter key to execute

The will list the SID's associated with users on your computer. Look for the username you are logged in as and note down the SID (in particular the last 4 digits)

Sample image

Untitled.png

• Now we know the SID press Windows key and R key together to open Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • When the User Account Control appears click Yes
  • In the left pane of Registry Editor window that opens expand keys to following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SOFTWARE
— Microsoft
— Windows
— CurrentVersion
— Appx
AppxAllUserStore
  • Left-click on the AppxAllUserStore key in the left pane and scroll down to locate the SID key that matches your username SID
  • Right-click on the matching SID and choose Delete then press F5 to refresh registry.

Sample image

Untitled2.png
  • Now simply sign out and sign back in, or restart computer for changes to take affect. The cache will rebuild during this process and clear out anything that may be corrupted.

Note: You may need to repeat above steps for other usernames you chose to install third party apps for.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes, that's been done - several times - but the issue here remains. Appreciate your efforts.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you tried the Reset option via Settings?
  • Start | Settings cog | System | in left pane click Apps & features
  • In right pane Scroll to Store
  • Left-click on Store
  • Left-click on Advanced options
  • Click Reset

Reaction score
Try this:

Open
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Windows.MiracastView_cw5n1h2txyewy
Delete the contents of the" Local cache" and "Local State", folders and restart the computer. Both will be rebuilt.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The two MiracastView folders were already empty.

Then store was reset via the SETTINGS menu and when the troubleshooter was run the result was the same.

Reaction score
Results were identical, so this likely isn't a machine-specific issue, though some of the same apps (very few) are installed on the laptop.
If you have two machines which are behaving the same way in regard to this, I would have to believe it is something particular to your situation. Whether it might be some type of firewall or internet connection or software you are running.

If you are syncing your systems, that might also be spreading the problem.

I have never seen such an error on any of my systems and not many, if any, mention of it in this forum.

Reaction score
If you have two machines which are behaving the same way in regard to this, I would have to believe it is something particular to your situation. Whether it might be some type of firewall or internet connection or software you are running.

If you are syncing your systems, that might also be spreading the problem.

I have never seen such an error on any of my systems and not many, if any, mention of it in this forum.

A reasonable analysis, and hardly worth losing sleep over as all seems to be working well. No sync here. Tnx.

Reaction score
I've got the same problem... Both are on brand new computers running Windows 10 Home.

Mine was actually not showing any visual issues, I actually did not diagnose this problem at first. I was noticing that when I checked Reliability history, it would constantly show "Microsoft Edge Stopped Working"
This error would happen every single time I used Microsoft Edge, often times multiple errors would show if I had more than one window open.
I couldn't for the life of me find out what was wrong, but I did end up running the Windows app diagnostic and it showed the Corrupt Cache or Licences.

Then I kinda connected the two problems together. A microsoft store tech associate actually informed me that Microsoft Edge was DIRECTLY connected to the Windows Store, therefore any issues with the Windows store could reflect upon Edge.

I did two Fresh installs of the System, one of which was at the Microsoft store, did not fix it...
I tried the WSreset, I tried recreating the cache file, I tried the DISM commands, SFC, etc. Nothing.

3rd time I reinstalled my system I made sure to not install ANY of my chipset/ graphics/ audio/ Lan/ MEI, etc Drivers.
At first it was not showing the error, but after about 20 minutes the error popped up.
Although this was after multiple Microsoft Updates (The automatic ones that you cant turn off).
So I was able to cross off 3rd party drivers installed by me as a culprit.

I'm not sure what problem this is to be honest, its the same issue on my Laptop, Both computers are brand new.
It may be a Windows bug, I honestly do not know...

Specs:
Desktop
i7 6700k (and i5 6600k before)
EVGA 1070FTW
ASUS Z170 PRO
Samsung EVO SSD
EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Laptop:
HP laptop
8GB DDR4
i7 7500u
1TB HDD