Strange and sudden desktop behaviour in Windows 10

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm running a version of Windows 10 that I downloaded from the Microsoft site 2 weeks ago. I always liked the switch between 8.1 and sort of a "back to win 7" look and familiarity by simply clicking the start button at bottom left.The past few days my desktop look has changed in what seems can only be a glitch. It's been this way unchanged since it started and I tried many things to make it right again. I'll try to upload a screenshot, I'm new here and don't know if the software used allows it. If not I can explain by describing the difference. In a healthy build (or version) the mouse click at the start button bottom left turns the entire monitor screen blue ( or whatever color you chose at installation) and essentially you have a virtual alternative O.S. of sorts. What changed suddenly for no apparent reason is the 2nd screen is 3/4 instead of full and is overlapped on the first (I'm a tech with my own company in San Diego (originally from NY) and I am the only one I know around these parts that can actually recommend free programs that when properly configured and updated regularly keep a computer free of virus/malware./adware/spyware/underware wait- not the last one.-effectively. I only mention this because I'm pretty sure it isn't the result of infection.I've solved similar issue ion previous O'S. I've run sfc,chkdsk etc and no change.Hopefully you see the screenshot and someone can recognize this error. I personally think it';s a code glitch or pre-release bug that has yet too be worked out . I'm also getting weird keyboard stroke effects like out of nowhere while typing the ordinary letter keys the random opening of dialogue boxes for no reason. I'm not talking about the insert key issue where your cursor jumps back and you can't get it to type without eating the letter in front of it like it was pacman or something lol unless you hit the insert key again. This isn't so much an issue as it happens only occasionally on certain sites. Probably and issue with simple machine portal software and it did happen twice while typing this post here. .I am running win 10 clean install on a freshly formatted
hitachi HGST 2.5" drive in my Asus k55a laptop with 8gb ram and quad core i5 intel processor. A very stable machine that for 3 years since I bought it (ikt came with 7 home premium along with so much Asus bloatware that no one at Asus could get it to stop crashing but me. I reformatted and clean installed only oem Win 7 ultimate with NO other trial programs or junk fodder.. since then my machine sleeps at night and wakes in the morning within 2 seconds and never strayed from that performance even once in 3 years. This is what leads me to believe it isn't a hardware issue but rather some thing that got corrupted somehow. ok those big spaces in this text that just happened here? Rod Serling would be amused. I swear I wasn't holding down the space bar. I may have a bad keyboard I hear you should try not to spill beer on it. o_O Anyway if anyone knows why the desktop switches to a 3/4 second screen overlapped on the first screen instead of a full switch one screen in place of the other, I'm all ears (and fingers).. BTW if any of you are having issues with virus and malware that seem to keep infecting your machine you can email me and I'll share some secrets. Those "top 2" are kno
win10_desktop_error.jpg
win10_desktop_error.jpg
win10_desktop_error.jpg
wn to plant registry strings that mess with any other"rival" program making you think maybe you should go back to them. Iobit uninstaller offers a powerful scan after the programs own uninstall to sweep most of those insidious remnant strings out of the registry. It isn't perfect but it helps a lot. I laugh when I see the feeble attempt the software makes at getting you to reboot right away before the powerful scan initiates.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Having some problem spotting the specific difference in the three images you've attached.

Reaction score
Having some problem spotting the specific difference in the three images you've attached.
sorry those are three of the same image. I wasn't sure if the image was uploading so I obviously posted 3 times instead of once. The image shows the desktop in abnormal condition. You can see the large full screen image of the 7 style desktop behind the 3/4 size image after tapping the bottom left start button. It is supposed to be a 2nd start page in 100% size NOT 75% and certainly not supposed to overlap the desktop image that resembles windows 7.Can you confirm?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can see the large full screen image of the 7 style desktop behind the 3/4 size image after tapping the bottom left start button.
That is because of the transparency settings for the Start Menu. You can adjust that here.....
Transp.png

It is supposed to be a 2nd start page in 100% size NOT 75% and certainly not supposed to overlap the desktop image that resembles windows 7.
That is the default behavior, although your percentages may be off slightly and may depend on various settings such as screen resolution and such.
If you want a full screen Start Menu you can adjust that here.....

StartMenuSettings.PNG

Reaction score
Thank you sir I will give that a whirl as soon as T am not so busy.

I don't know much about 10 I obviously need to get up to speed.

Reaction score
btw I still think there may be a glitch because this change happened with no initiation from me. That's what threw me off and caused me to overlook manual changes in settings.

Thanks again!

Ask a Question