strange connection problem

Reaction score
Just upgrade my DELL XPS 8700 Win8.1 to Win10 today and observed following problems.

Edge works fine, no problem connect to my WIFI and download and browse internet. However other browsers like FX, Chrome, even IE 11 does not work at all. Anti-virus program can't connect to internet to update, One Drive can't login either.

I've tried uninstall anti-virus software and modify firewall setting but no luck.

Any one experience this problem? Why only Edge works?

Reaction score
Hello! I had this exact same issue when I upgraded. Took a lot of time but eventually found a fix. It's actually an old issue that seems to pop up for some people only when they update to 10.

What solved it for me was opening command prompt as an administrator (search for it in the start menu then right click and choose "Run As Administrator;" or you can find it by clicking "all apps" and opening the "Windows System" folder where command prompt is the first option you see), then type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, then press Enter, then after it is finished (wait until it shows the file path "c:\Users\(Your Account)>"), close command prompt and restart the computer.

The same issue apparently showed up back when people were updating to Windows 8.1 as well. If this doesn't fix it for you, there are some other supposed fixes, but none of them worked for me.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/974612

I still have no clue why Edge works when nothing else will.

Reaction score
ninefoldrin is right the "netsh winsock reset" command works. All browsers worked after that. Strangely onedrive still couldn't connect and dropbox just continually said 'downloading file list ...'. Seems like a nice new OS but still some kinks that need working out.

Ask a Question