SOLVED Strange start up

Reaction score
Two days ago I started my computer and it failed to start with either Error code 0xc0000225 or BIOHD3 error. I used the Win 10 ISO image from the Media creation tool to add back winload.exe. I am running win 10 PRO Ver 1607 Build 14393.1358 on an HP Pavilion to which I added an SSD. Now the strange start up. If I start it normally it still fails with the above errors. However, If I have a flash drive plugged in and say to start if from the flash drive it starts normally. The flash drive has nothing on it but an empty file.

Regedit32

Reaction score
BIOHD-3 errors are not that uncommon on HP computers.

There were a few motherboards notorious for losing SATA ports randomly.

One thing you might want to do though is remove the hard drive, then reseat it and reconnect the cables, as if the cables are not seated properly it will trigger the error.

You could also check with Disk Management that no partition is set to Active that could create a situation where the BIOS is skipping past a partition with the OS on it and this not booting.

Also in the BIOS you can run the S.M.A.R.T. tests on your hard drive to verify all is ok. If its not seated correctly, you will more than likely be told there is no drive to test. If it is seated correctly a test will be performed and may pick up some other issue.

Ultimately, assuming the HD is sound and correctly seated, you may need to do a clean install of the OS to overcome the issues.

Reaction score
I ran the smart tests on the ssd and there were no errors found. I also ran sfc /scannow with no errors. I will upgrade to 1703 and see if that resolves the problem. Thanks!

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
C:\Users\Joe's PC>bootrec /fixmbr
'bootrec' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
I'm pretty sure to use the bootrec.exe utility you need to do so when you boot the machine from the installation or recovery media.
At least everything I can find suggests so
To run the Bootrec.exe tool, first start the Windows RE:
Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 media in the DVD drive, and then start the computer
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues
Method 3. Rebuild or repair (deleted) system reserved partition via cmd (command prompt)
1. Boot computer with Windows 10/8/7 installation media and press Shift + F10;
SOURCE: https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/system-reserved-partition-recovery.html
Firstly, boot from a Windows 8 recovery drive (CD/DVD/USB).
SOURCE: http://itechs-systems.com/fix_corrupt_UEFI_partition.aspx

Reaction score
First I cannot install 1703 because of my funny startup. I cannot get it to start from the flash drive on the reboot of the install. So on to the rebuild of the ssd. bootrec gives an error.
C:\Users\Joe's PC>bootrec /fixmbr
You are still able to boot up to the desktop? Lost track somewhere!

Open a command prompt as admin. The correct format, I believe, is bootrec /FixBoot

Reaction score
I think I know what is wrong but don't know if it can be fixed unless I reinstall. I looked at winload.exe which is what started my problem. When I tried to open it, I got a message that says it cannot run in 32 bit mode. It's size is 1,146 kb. When I looked at a 32 bit system the size is 924 kb. My system is 64 bits so I used the 64bit iso to fix it. But, that may be what is causing me the problem.

Yes I am still able to boot up.

C:\Windows\system32>bootrec /FixBoot

Reaction score
OK bootrec does work from the CD start. When I ran FIXBOOT though I got Element not found. I then ran scanos which gave me an os on the G: and only 1 os found. Is the G: really the C:?

Reaction score
Is the G: really the C:?
HI joker32,

that depends on what partition you chose when you did your install, if you already had a version of W10 on your PC and didn't overwrite that, you may well have 2 versions of W10 and the later version would pick up a different drive letter!. :)

Reaction score
got the same problem: Full installation did not work. Installed a new HDD and still got the same bootrec is not regognized
Lost all my Hair over this!!!!!

Ask a Question