SOLVED Struggling saving pictures in desire location

Reaction score
Hi. Over the past few days, I have been working on this project involving downloading quite a number of scenic pictures from the Internet. Actually, I didn’t “download” these pictures, but I “saved” them onto a thumb drive. Excuse me, I am not sure if there is any difference between, “downloading” & “Saving.” I always just Right-Click on the picture & select, “Save Image as.” Anyway. I specifically didn’t want these pictures saved on my C-Drive nor in my Pictures folder. Honestly, guys, these pictures are not illegal nor inappropriate, I just wanted them only on this thumb drive & not mixed in with my Pictures folder. After viewing many of the pictures last night in File Explorer & in Pictures (I doubled clicked on some pictures to get a better view), today I first realized when I opened my File Explorer under, Quick Access all of the pictures under, “Recent files,” I accessed the previous night were there, which I didn’t like them being there. But then when I opened my Pictures folder on my C-drive all of the pictures that are on my thumb drive were also mixed up with my other pictures. I never use OneDrive & wish I could completely remove it from my system. It’s not like the old days when whatever was on an external drive stayed there. I believe that I’m not making any sense & am talking out my *ss. I just don’t understand if I have documents or pictures on an external drive, then why when I open them, automatically, they’re saved on my C-Drive? I know that seems impossible but that seems to be what I am experiencing. I even had to delete the pictures I didn’t want in my Pictures folder more than once. I guess I’m hoping that someone will tell me how to make some changes in the Properties folder on my thumb drive. The pictures on my thumb drive are all in one folder, let’s called that folder, “Folder A.” Folder A isn’t shared or included in any other of my libraries. I’m very sorry, I’m merely an average person that isn’t too well versed in using the proper computer terminology. If I come across like a babbling idiot then I’ll expect no responses back;

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I always right-click an image and Save image, usually in Firefox but other browsers should have something similar. The Save as is much the same as in programs when wanting a file in a different folder than set in the browser's Preferences, Options or Settings. Downloading is more commonly used with things like a program for installing or an .iso file for creating a CD or DVD copy of the original disc.

Also, Quick Access and Libraries in the Navigation pane of File Explorer are shortcuts to the actual folders in C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE. There's usually 2 ways, sometimes more, of doing something in Windows which is nice but also can get in the way of accomplishing a goal.

Reaction score
I always right-click an image and Save image, usually in Firefox but other browsers should have something similar. The Save as is much the same as in programs when wanting a file in a different folder than set in the browser's Preferences, Options or Settings. Downloading is more commonly used with things like a program for installing or an .iso file for creating a CD or DVD copy of the original disc.

Also, Quick Access and Libraries in the Navigation pane of File Explorer are shortcuts to the actual folders in C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE. There's usually 2 ways, sometimes more, of doing something in Windows which is nice but also can get in the way of accomplishing a goal.
Bighorn, thanks for replying to my post. It’s not you, but I didn’t get much out of your response. Not to say I was expecting anybody to give me a definite straight answer. You did, by suggesting to me with going into my browser’s settings & I guess change where my files are downloaded. That’s the gist of what I read. I did like when you said, “There are usually 2 or more ways & sometimes more to do something in Windows.” Boy, I know that to be so true. Anyway, there was something else I wanted to add which could explain how pictures from a thumb drive ended up on my C-drive/My Pictures folder. As I was viewing the pictures, I had saved on this thumb drive, when I would double-click on whichever picture a picture window would come up. Except, I had to close out of that picture window to view another picture. Up, on the left-hand corner of the picture window, I clicked on, “See all photos” & maybe that was how the photos from this thumb drive ended up all in my C-drive/Pictures folder. I don’t know, but I won’t press on that, “See all Photos” if I’m only looking at photos off of a thumb drive. Thank again, BH!

Reaction score
As for viewing, I use Windows Photo Viewer, it has arrows for going to the next image or going back. Other photo programs may have the same.
1632009903662.png

Reaction score
Hi. Over the past few days, I have been working on this project involving downloading quite a number of scenic pictures from the Internet. Actually, I didn’t “download” these pictures, but I “saved” them onto a thumb drive. Excuse me, I am not sure if there is any difference between, “downloading” & “Saving.” I always just Right-Click on the picture & select, “Save Image as.” Anyway. I specifically didn’t want these pictures saved on my C-Drive nor in my Pictures folder. Honestly, guys, these pictures are not illegal nor inappropriate, I just wanted them only on this thumb drive & not mixed in with my Pictures folder. After viewing many of the pictures last night in File Explorer & in Pictures (I doubled clicked on some pictures to get a better view), today I first realized when I opened my File Explorer under, Quick Access all of the pictures under, “Recent files,” I accessed the previous night were there, which I didn’t like them being there. But then when I opened my Pictures folder on my C-drive all of the pictures that are on my thumb drive were also mixed up with my other pictures. I never use OneDrive & wish I could completely remove it from my system. It’s not like the old days when whatever was on an external drive stayed there. I believe that I’m not making any sense & am talking out my *ss. I just don’t understand if I have documents or pictures on an external drive, then why when I open them, automatically, they’re saved on my C-Drive? I know that seems impossible but that seems to be what I am experiencing. I even had to delete the pictures I didn’t want in my Pictures folder more than once. I guess I’m hoping that someone will tell me how to make some changes in the Properties folder on my thumb drive. The pictures on my thumb drive are all in one folder, let’s called that folder, “Folder A.” Folder A isn’t shared or included in any other of my libraries. I’m very sorry, I’m merely an average person that isn’t too well versed in using the proper computer terminology. If I come across like a babbling idiot then I’ll expect no responses back;

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
when I opened my File Explorer under, Quick Access all of the pictures under, “Recent files,” I accessed the previous night were there, which I didn’t like them being there.

Open File Explorer and click on View, then OptionsQuick Access W10.jpgUncheck the two boxes.

when I opened my Pictures folder on my C-drive all of the pictures that are on my thumb drive were also mixed up with my other pictures. I never use OneDrive I just don’t understand if I have documents or pictures on an external drive, then why when I open them, automatically, they’re saved on my C-Drive?

This is often the default on newer systems. Right click on the One Drive Icon by the clock.
OD Icon.JPG
(1)Click on settings

Backup Tab.JPG

Click on Backup Tab, then click on Manage Backup. Uncheck 3 boxes, then close this screen. WARNING!! Every time you open this screen, you will have to
uncheck the boxes again. MS really wants to save everything to One Drive.

Open Settings.JPG Auto Backup.JPG
Now, open your one drive local folder. Right click on the OneDrive Icon, then click on Open your OneDrive folder. Now you can manually move everything to where you want it to be. To disable One Drive, go to Settings, select the Settings tab, and uncheck Start OneDrive Automatically ....

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• All tabs.JPG
    All tabs.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
when I opened my File Explorer under, Quick Access all of the pictures under, “Recent files,” I accessed the previous night were there, which I didn’t like them being there.

Open File Explorer and click on View, then OptionsView attachment 13676Uncheck the two boxes.

when I opened my Pictures folder on my C-drive all of the pictures that are on my thumb drive were also mixed up with my other pictures. I never use OneDrive I just don’t understand if I have documents or pictures on an external drive, then why when I open them, automatically, they’re saved on my C-Drive?

This is often the default on newer systems. Right click on the One Drive Icon by the clock.
View attachment 13677
(1)Click on settings

View attachment 13680

Click on Backup Tab, then click on Manage Backup. Uncheck 3 boxes, then close this screen. WARNING!! Every time you open this screen, you will have to
uncheck the boxes again. MS really wants to save everything to One Drive.

View attachment 13679 View attachment 13681
Now, open your one drive local folder. Right click on the OneDrive Icon, then click on Open your OneDrive folder. Now you can manually move everything to where you want it to be. To disable One Drive, go to Settings, select the Settings tab, and uncheck Start OneDrive Automatically ....

Hope this helps.
Hi Garyw. I wanted to thank you for responding to my post & as well as make a few comments on what you had suggested. 1) When I looked on my icon try for my OneDrive it’s not there. Excuse my lack of using the proper language here; I may have already had someone disconnect/disable. Though it is still available in my File Explore & I have files on my OneDrive which I never access. Actually, my OneDrive is full. I tried to get someone from Microsoft to try completely remove OneDrive, but they told me that was almost impossible. 2) I have my default Pictures folder on my C-drive, but it’s not under my OneDrive. I’m thinking about doing what Bighorn suggested with getting Windows Photo Viewer. I’m a little hesitant to mention (& I don’t mean to start opening up a whole other can of worms) I’m waiting for Windows 11 to be officially released & I believe will be sometime next month. My PC is exactly one year old this month & it meets all of the system requirements for Windows 11 according to this app I downloaded called, “PC Health Check.” I know – I know most people might tell me to wait, but I’ve always been interested in what new “toys" Microsoft comes out with – so to speak. Please don’t try to change my mind my mind is pretty much set. Fortunately I don't need to use my computer for business/work, rather for recreation. Perhaps I’ll post something on Windows 11 Forum (which I already joined) & see what kind of suggestions anyone has as far as viewing photos apps. I started out typing out a post on Windows 11 Forum regarding this issue, but something told me maybe I ought to come here first, Anyway, thanks for the tip on Quick Access in File Explorer; I’ll be sure to keep them in mind. Thanks, G.

Reaction score
1) When I looked on my icon try for my OneDrive it’s not there.
Sometimes Icons in the Notification Area are in the Hidden area. Click on the inverted V to open.

Hidden Icons.jpg

Actually, my OneDrive is full.
Open Settings, click on "Open your online folder" and delete everything you don't want there.

Pictures folder on my C-drive, but it’s not under my OneDrive

One Drive would copy files from the My Pictures folder on your C:\ drive to the pictures folder under OneDrive.

As for the rest- Windows 11 is very much the same as Windows 10. If you don't do the maintenance I suggested earlier, you'll repeat your problems in W11 regardless of what you do with Windows Photo Viewer. Good Luck
Gary
Hidden Icons.jpg

Ask a Question