Stuck at Dell page

Reaction score
Dell Inspiron 5305 Windows 10

Windows 10 was installed (upgrade) yesterday via an ISO file. The installation was uneventful. At startup this morning the machine got stuck on the Dell page. Incidentally, this was a problem that was experienced when the machine was running Windows 8.1 and I thought it would have gone away. After unplugging the machine and plugging it back in it started up.
Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Incidentally, this was a problem that was experienced when the machine was running Windows 8.1 and I thought it would have gone away.
Typically, upgrading a machine with an existing problem will not remedy the problem, it usually just brings it over to the new Operating System and can actually be worse than previously.

If this is a desktop you should probably look into setting your power plan settings to high performance and inspecting the details in the Advanced Power Plan Settings options for anything related to energy saving (sleep, hybrid sleep, etc.,) setting those to disable or off or max performance in every detail setting.
Disable Hibernation completely for the time being.
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
powercfg -h off
hit enter
reboot.
You can then reverse that by doing it again but this time typing
powercfg -h on

Likewise you can go back to your advance power plan settings and cautiously and deliberately re-enable them individually as you might choose.

Reaction score
I did the command prompt powercfg -h off and it did not resolve the issue. Is there any other suggestion I could try? Thanks again

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you go into your advanced power plan options and disable hybrid sleep (if present)?
I was assuming that your machine wasn't totally shutting completely down but instead is or was failing to recover from a energy saving setting, since physically unplugging it seemed to resolve the issue.
If you have set all your advance power options to avoid any power saving settings with respect to sleep and have set everything to maximum performance then I think my initial suspicion may have been incorrect.

Ask a Question