Stuck - install requires restart, but doesn't progress after restart

Reaction score
I am upgrading a computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I completed the download, and got a message that the computer needed to restart to continue the installation. However, when I restart and the computer comes back up, the same message appears and the installation does not progress. When I go to check Windows updates in the control panel, it says it can't check for updates because another installation is in progress. I have restarted the machine multiple times with no progress - can't go forward, can't go back. Has anyone found a fix for this issue?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
when I restart and the computer comes back up, the same message appears
Are you saying that now.....
Everytime you restart your computer you are prompted with "the computer needs to restart to continue the installation"?
Has anyone found a fix for this issue?
Not that I'm aware of.... I'm not sure that I've ever heard of this exact problem before.
Did you happen to take any steps to backup your critical data and perhaps create a disk image before beginning this process?
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Ask a Question