Successful Upgrade to Win10

Reaction score
My earlier attempt to upgrade from Win7 on my laptop was a dismal failure. The upgrade crashed diring the process, following which recovery failed, forcing a fresh reinstall of my Win7, immediately followed by Win10 upgrade via the ISO route. Unfortunately, lost everything, because everything was on my single C: partition, forcing a complete reinstall of all my favorite software, some of which choked on Win10, would not install.

On my main desktop Win7 computer, my C: drive is an old SSD, which I tried to clone to another SSD. Tried several cloning utilities, none worked to another SSD. Finally used XXCLONE to an external conventional hard drive, successfully ending up with a bootable cloned replacement/backup of my C: drive which contains only software, no files.

With a fully backed up bootable C: drive, I clicked on the Win10 upgrade icon, followed the bouncing ball and let it do its things all by self. To my pleasant surprise, after completion, not only were all my files intact, but also all my favorite software was intact and fully functional. Even my old Lotus WordPro that would not install in my Win10 laptop, was untouched and continues to work normally. All my favorite software continues to work normally, some going back to the early 80's, running in a DOS window.

This turned out to be a successful upgrade, including the automatic recent major update, all worked as promised. I'm a happy camper with Win10. My earlier experience with my laptop was just a bump on the road.

Regards,

Terry
(in Canada)

Reaction score
Tenacity, persistence, perseverance, resolution. All traits you exhibited to succeed in your endeavor. Three cheers for a job well done.

Ask a Question