SOLVED Super frustrating dropping

Reaction score
HI and thanks in advance. I thought I'd fixed this problem a month ago with a channel change, but it popped back up three days ago. New desktop ASUS M32CD, Intil i7-6700, 15GB, 64, Win 10, ISP is Time Warner, Netgear N600 router, Motorola Surfboard 5B6141 modem, Avast and Malwarebtyes for anti virus/malware.

This is def a wireless issue, internet accessibility is fine hardwired, problem happening sporadically. Other wireless devices are unaffected. Getting error message can't find website or DNS error. Can't connect for a minute or two then am able to connect just fine. Happens in all browsers with both users on computer.

Sometimes if I troubleshoot from the error message it says there is no problem and other times it says the default gateway is not available (restarting adapter seems to get it moving again). But usually it will just start back up on its own without restarting.

Things I've tried - resetting all defaults in browsers, turned off all mobile (VPN, hotspots, proxy) Win 10 settings, reset modem and router (updated router firmware), reset DNS (in computer and router) tried the google and other public DNS addresses, synced the computer clock with internet time (seems to be synced), turned off firewall & uninstalled virus protection, updated wireless card driver (Realtek 8821 AE wireless lan 802.11ac PCI-E NIC) and seemed to work fine but with a fresh boot the problem returned. I have also unchecked the adapter power management option and set at maximum performance. Also changed the wireless mode to 802.11b/g instead of auto. Changed router channel from auto to 11.

Suspected Win 10 issue. Updated the fix that was associated with a bug at the last update. Did not resolve the issue. In addition I reset the router to factory settings two days ago with no help.

Here's my next theory...it's the "hidden network". It's visible in my list of available networks. I have gone to known networks and 'forgotten' it. Here's why I think it may be a problem. I've used Xirrus to look at my router and wireless network. It shows that the hidden network has a strong signal and is using an identical channel. When I change the channel in my router the hidden network also uses that channel.

So this is why I'm here. I think this may be a Win 10 issue. I've uploaded a screen shot of the Xirrus report.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• xirrus.png
    xirrus.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,014
Reaction score
Your wifi card can do 5Ghz ( as it is an ac card) can your router do 5Ghz ? The spec says so. try and change to 5Ghz ac or n and see what happens. New SSID and passphrase of course and specifically connect to the 5Ghz network. You could even turn off the 2.4 Ghz band.

Also do you have any 2.4 Ghz 'stuff' like a microwave oven, Bluray player, Home security gear, Wifi range extender in use somewhere close?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The router 5ghz is already set at a/n and there doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the 2.4 band. The only things close to my router are my TV, Roku stick, a printer, and the modem. I should also say that this problem didn't present itself until I got this new computer. Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Is your PC set to use 5GHz? and only 5Ghz? That is just the SSID you chose for 5Ghz.

The reason I suggested going to 5ghz is to see if the unknown network follows you there....if it does then I agree that something on your machine or, more likely in Windows 10 is the problem.

I'd try turning of Avast and turning on Defender and see if that makes a difference ( clutching at straws here)

I checked and the Modem is just a Modem ( some of these things have a 'gateway' function that has Wifi going)

Reaction score
So, I found out my pc isn't 5ghz capable. Avast has been uninstalled for the past month or so (using Defender). Obviously that didn't fix things. Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
According to your post and the ASUS spec you have a Realtek 8821ae card. That supports 802.11n and 802.11ac (ac is only 5Ghz.) Therefore it will support 802.11n on 5Ghz as well as ac. Your choice.

You have to add a new different SSID and passphrase on the 5GHz band to your router and then on your PC. On Windows then connect to that.
The router should have a page with settings for both bands according to the spec.
You'll need to go to the adapter settings and undo the fix where you set your Realtek to 802.11 b\g only and set all the other settings back to auto.

The modem doesn't care whether you use 2.4 or 5Ghz.

Reaction score
Okay, so I changed the driver setting to auto and I'm able to access 5ghz and have connected to it. The hidden network channel is different. I'll give it a day or two to see if this helps. I'll be back to let you know. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

Reaction score
Does Xirrus cover 5Ghz band? I guess it does if you see the channel numbers. If not you might want to try one of the others. If Xirrus does not show the packet flow into your PC it might be instructive to download Wireshark and take a look at what is going on. To be really serious you'd also run Wireshark when you are connected ethernet.

I was hoping someone on the Forum who is running Wifi would have joined in by now...I have Wifi for Roku,iPad,Phone and so on but our main machines and even the Insider machine are all Gigabit Ethernet.

Reaction score
Beg borrow or buy a reputable 802.11 g/n/ac dual band usb dongle , disable the onboard adapter and try that.

The realtek adapter is built in on the motherboard I guess. You could uninstall the realtek driver and download and install a previous version, that is, an earlier Windows 10 version. I think there are a couple on the Asus site.

Reaction score
Thanks. Just downloaded and installed. Let's see if this works. Probably won't get my hands on a dongle for a couple/few days anyway.

Reaction score
So far, so good. I looks like a fresh install may have helped. Keeping fingers crossed. Will mark this thred as solved. Thanks again for the help!

Ask a Question