Synaptics Touchpad not auto starting

Reaction score
Hi, I have an HP ENVY TS m7 Notebook PC. It originally had Windows 8 on it, pre-installed. I wiped it clean and installed Windows 10 on it. I updated the Synaptics Touchpad Drivers and software directly from Synaptics, as HP don't have them for this laptop for Windows 10-Go Figure!. I actually had this issue with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. The way I fixed it was getting the drivers and software directly from Synaptics.

The Issue: The touchpad settings won't save/apply and if they do, upon restart, they won't apply. I noticed that the Synaptics Touchpad icon isn't in the system tray. It appears that something keeps turning it off. I have tried going into services to make sure that it's running and it is. If I go into SETTINGS>>MOUSE and Pointer settings, then advanced, I have to re-apply the scrolling feature AGAIN.

Anyone have a fix or idea?

Thanks in advance!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you uninstall the device and drivers before installing the latest drivers?
Have you checked Control Panel to see if a new Applet was added by Synaptic to see if the new driver / software package may have some additional configuration settings, like "Start with Windows"

Reaction score
Did you uninstall the device and drivers before installing the latest drivers?
Have you checked Control Panel to see if a new Applet was added by Synaptic to see if the new driver / software package may have some additional configuration settings, like "Start with Windows"

Hi, thanks for the reply! Yes, I uninstalled the old version before I reinstalled this version. and not there is not applet or anything to "Start with Windows" anywhere. I can upload a pic, file or what ever you need to help me fix this. I"m going to run Revo Uninstaller and remove anything and everything and reinstall it. However, I can only install the version that Synaptics has, as HP don't have anything for some reason. It just won't stay with the settings after I apply and then restart.

I did some more research, it seems I'm not alone: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-...-scroll-after-Windows-10-upgrade/td-p/5172402

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Synaptics TouchPad Driver Version:17.0.8.0 Sep 15, 2015 147.8 MB
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-m7-Notebook-PC-series/5354978/model/5390704
personally I'd go with that one it says it's for Windows 8.1 but it should be fine it was just updated last month and you're going to find that drivers for your hardware, from the Computer Manufacturer are often going to work much better than drivers you may find elsewhere, even from the device manufacturer, this is particularly true with laptops.
While there you may also want to consider anything in the way of BIOS, Chipset and Storage Controller drivers many connected devices rely on proper drivers for the subsystem that supports the connection

Reaction score
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-m7-Notebook-PC-series/5354978/model/5390704
personally I'd go with that one it says it's for Windows 8.1 but it should be fine it was just updated last month and you're going to find that drivers for your hardware, from the Computer Manufacturer are often going to work much better than drivers you may find elsewhere, even from the device manufacturer, this is particularly true with laptops.
While there you may also want to consider anything in the way of BIOS, Chipset and Storage Controller drivers many connected devices rely on proper drivers for the subsystem that supports the connection

Thanks, I'll give that a try now. As far as the BIOS and Chipset, I updated all that from HP, when I upgraded.

Reaction score

BINGO!!! I don't know what I originally did wrong, but this time, it worked! Thanks! I tried this one first and it didn't take, That's why I tried the one from Synaptics after, but now the HP one did..

Thanks again1!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Thanks for updating your thread with that information.

Reaction score
Thanks again for your help!

I thought I did this the first time, that's why I was stumped, but apparently I didn't, otherwise it would have worked....lol..

Reaction score
I'm on the Win10 Insiders Preview program. This happens to me EVERY time a new build of Win10 is installed....no retained settings of my Touchpad configuration on my Dell Inspiron. After running the configuration program once, the settings are retained. Very frustrating that I can count on this with every new version.

Reaction score
I'm on the Win10 Insiders Preview program. This happens to me EVERY time a new build of Win10 is installed....no retained settings of my Touchpad configuration on my Dell Inspiron. After running the configuration program once, the settings are retained. Very frustrating that I can count on this with every new version.

I hear ya!

Ask a Question