Synchronizing HomeGroup/Home Network files

Reaction score
My home network consists of 5 computers, 4 with Win10, one with Win7. All computers are connected via one Netgear Router. All use Google Chrome.
In Win7, one could set up a HomeGroup connection, with password. There are no instructions I can find in Win10, that enable me to synchronize my 5 computers.
Any advice?

Reaction score
Homegroups work in Windows 10, you just set one system as the master and sign into the group on the others.. Do you want to use Homegroups?

Reaction score
Homegroups work in Windows 10, you just set one system as the master and sign into the group on the others.. Do you want to use Homegroups?

My objective is to be able to move files from one computer to one or more computers in my network. Homegroups worked well when I just had Win7. I tried linking in Win10 just like I did in Win7, and the file was not where I selected for it to be. I suspect Quick Access or One Drive is th culprit.
Are you asking if I want to use Homegroups because there is a better alternative?

Reaction score
No, not really trying to suggest anything else. I don't normally sync files between systems but the OneDrive thing I believe is supposed to sync the folders you specify. How it relates to the Homegroups I don't know.

Are you running your Win10 systems using the Microsoft account, which you need to sync your settings and such?

Your original post, I thought, specified you were not able to set up the Homegroup, is that the current problem?

Reaction score
Yes.
Your response prompted me to see if there is naming consistency among my networked computers and after opening Settings->About I see (1) the PC names do not correspond to the names listed under Homegroup on the File Explorer page, and (2) on the System page-> About-> Organization, it has "WORKGROUP" listed on one computer, on the About page it has "WORKGROUP", and below it offers the opportunity to 'Join a Domain'/
What is the difference between 'WORKGROUP' and 'Homegroup' and are they both "domains"?
Maybe I should start the WORKGROUP, HOMEGROUP, DOAMIN process over, but how?

Reaction score
I am not the networking expert, but Domains are a different thing. Most home systems do not belong to a domain.

If your Workgroups are the same, that is important. Of course having the correct actual names of each computer will help in identifying it in the network.

Reaction score
Yes.
Your response prompted me to see if there is naming consistency among my networked computers and after opening Settings->About I see (1) the PC names do not correspond to the names listed under Homegroup on the File Explorer page, and (2) on the System page-> About-> Organization, it has "WORKGROUP" listed on one computer, on the About page it has "WORKGROUP", and below it offers the opportunity to 'Join a Domain'/
What is the difference between 'WORKGROUP' and 'Homegroup' and are they both "domains"?
Maybe I should start the WORKGROUP, HOMEGROUP, DOAMIN process over, but how?

Reaction score
Network vs Homegroup?
On my File Explorer, all my computers are listed under both Network and Homegroup, albeit the Homegroup uses the login name, which is not listed on the 'About' page. I tried to find, in Win10 references I have, what are the the distinguishing differences among the Network, Homegroup, Workgroup terms, but have no satisfaction.
Some aspects one must live with.

Ask a Question