Syncing two folders on the same computer.

Reaction score
Over the last week or two. I've been moving from my old XP to a new computer (Win10), home, I think. (Where would I look for the OS, serice pack, etc.?)
I've wound up with a couple copies of My Documents folder, 40G each. Is there any way to sync these two folders, if sync is the right word, so that both files wind up being
identical.
If something is missing in A, but appears in B, its either added or the deficit is marked.
I sure would like to be sure I'm not throwing out something I'll want in the future, if I just inny, meanny one to delete.

Reaction score
Never found a way to sync folders in Windows 10 so I use a free 3rd party program to sync all my folders and files. Might do a google search for free file sync programs and check some out. Just be sure to watch for and opt out of any bloat ware some may want to install. Also create a restore point before installing any of the programs in case something goes wrong.

Reaction score
hi Nels,

What if you were to just copy the contents of one into the other, and when Windows pops up asking you if you want to replace filename with new date with same filename with old date, you choose No. At the end you will have one folder with all filenames and with the newest dates.

And although I'm not positive, i believe you can choose the option at the bottom of the popup window to repeat your choice with ALL copies meeting that same condition. You may have to test this situation by making a folder and copy 4 files from your source folder in to the new folder. Then edit 2 of each in each folder to make their modified date fairly current and then leave 2 files in each folder with the older date. The choos option to repeat your choice.

cheers!
Allan

Ask a Question