System - and I mean SYSTEM language, not UI language.

Reaction score
HI. I upgraded from Win-7 pro to windows 10. Original was in Finnish.
I installed the English (UK, of course - "American English" is about as real as a unicorn!).
Deleted the Finnish.
Now, most things are OK, but some aren't. First, the day of the week is given as Manantai. but more annoyingly, Microsoft, Evernote etc. pages always assume I'm Finnish.
OK, my system says it's registered, so use the wonderful Media Creation Tool, and do a FULL reinstall, format disk, etc, use English yada,yada. I DID tell it to use the Finnish keyboard though. Plus, I live in Finland.
After many hours installing - exactly the same.
How do I change the SYSTEM (repeat, system, NOT the installed English(UK) pack) language?????
(I know I'm gonna get replies telling me to install the English language pack, from folks who haven't read the question thoroughly enough, but....)
Is there a registry entry or something?
Ta muchly
-Andy

Reaction score
Original was in Finnish.

The upgrade path is ...... Like to Like.
That includes language.
Your OS comes with Finnish, you must select Finnish on your upgrade process.

If installing English language and set it as your default language is unacceptable to you, then the other alternative is to buy a Windows 10 software in English language and clean install over whatever you are now having.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The upgrade path is ...... Like to Like.
That includes language.
Your OS comes with Finnish, you must select Finnish on your upgrade process.

If installing English language and set it as your default language is unacceptable to you, then the other alternative is to buy a Windows 10 software in English language and clean install over whatever you are now having.
Thanks for replying, but that was mentioned in the question.
Yes, when UPGRADING, but a fresh install....read on.
Downloading the fresh Windows 10 from Microsoft (once your system has been upgraded and successfully activated) using the Media Creation Tool you can do a fresh install, first formatting disk (shred it if you like first) so the disk is virgin. You can even smash it, buy a brand new disk (not motherboard!) and install onto that. Your system (with a unique ID) has been registered on MS's severs. No, before you ask, Finnish pops up its head before re-activation.
The Media Update Tool does NOT contain any language-specific info. whatsoever. During install, you tell it what language pack to use. Finnish (apart from the keyboard) was never mentioned. No longer is it "like to like" - Microsoft address this on their site.
I can only assume it bases on the IP address of my ISP, which is particularly stupid as Finland is officially bilingual - Finnish and Swedish. There's a sizeable minority of Finns here that only speak Swedish, and don't understand much Finnish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again, it's great people reply, but, as I said,
I know I'm gonna get replies telling me to install the English language pack, from folks who haven't read the question thoroughly enough, but....
To totally clarify, in (for example) it gives me the opportunity (in English, so the English pack is installed, and the Finnish pack was never installed on the "Clean Install") to "Set the first day of the week", it offers "sunnuntaina, maanantaina, tiistaina..."
Get the picture??

Reaction score
I have the same issue (mine is German, which I do read, but prefer English), and I would LOVE to have it solved. Just to give everyone an idea, yes, I have already installed the English language pack. There are 2 oddities. 1) After "uninstalling" the German language from the system, if I go here "Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language\Advanced settings", the "override language" still shows German. And after a few days of having the German language pack uninstalled, after a reset, the system will automatically download and reinstall the German language pack. And 2) when I type "Language" in the search bar, instead of showing "Language Settings", it shows "Sprache Einstellungen". It will do this with other things, too. "Printer" in search bar brings "Drucker & Scanner" and other stuff just like that. I've changed everything that I can possibly change to English and erased German a number of times as well, but because German registers as the "system language" it won't change.

Reaction score
And as far as DavidHKs answer, while I do live in Germany, the computer was bought in the USA with windows in the USA.

Reaction score
HI. I upgraded from Win-7 pro to windows 10. Original was in Finnish.
I installed the English (UK, of course - "American English" is about as real as a unicorn!).
Deleted the Finnish.
Now, most things are OK, but some aren't. First, the day of the week is given as Manantai. but more annoyingly, Microsoft, Evernote etc. pages always assume I'm Finnish.
OK, my system says it's registered, so use the wonderful Media Creation Tool, and do a FULL reinstall, format disk, etc, use English yada,yada. I DID tell it to use the Finnish keyboard though. Plus, I live in Finland.
After many hours installing - exactly the same.
How do I change the SYSTEM (repeat, system, NOT the installed English(UK) pack) language?????
(I know I'm gonna get replies telling me to install the English language pack, from folks who haven't read the question thoroughly enough, but....)
Is there a registry entry or something?
Ta muchly
-Andy
Has anybody got the solution to this problem? Kindly let me know as well.

Reaction score
I had this same problem before. Mine was German, and I wanted English (the unicorn statement is so far out of hand, you shouldn't really answer this for you.) There are 2 places you need to change your language settings in. AMD you may struggle with this for a while.

Windows Settings - Time and Language - Region and language. Here, for now, you want to make sure that you delete everything except English. And make sure that English is set as default. Also, change your region to the language that you want.

Then, go to Control Panel - Clock, Language, Region. Here, do the same thing, make English the default, and delete everything else. Next, click advanced settings on the left. Then click APPLY LANGUAGE SETTINGS TO THE WELCOME SCREEN, SYSTEM ACCOUNTS, AND NEW USER ACCOUNTS. In the administrative tab that comes up, clock COPY SETTINGS. Check that the list you now have are all your desired language. Now click OK.

Mine actually continued to reinstall the other languages by itself. After English is the default, LOG OUT of your account, log back in and then restart your computer.

Some things will continue to think that your system language is Finnish, but it becomes less and less over time.

Enjoy

Ask a Question