System backup stuck at 97%

Reaction score
When I run the system backup(found in Control Panel > Backup & Restore(Windows 7)), it's always stuck at 97%. I wait for hours but it never finishes. How do I fix this problem? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Reaction score
Use another form of backup. Macrium Reflect Free works every time.

Sorry for taking so long to answer. Had huge computer problems among other issues. I'll try this program when I can but it STILL doesn't entirely solve the problem. How do I prevent system backup from stopping at 97% and make it go all the way to 100%? Since this program's from Microsoft, it makes sense to me that this would be fixed by now! Thanks again in advance for any assistance.

Reaction score
I don't wanna bump this thread but could someone please answer my second post on this thread? Thank you.

Reaction score
What type of backup are you doing, a file or system image or both?

Can you see the notes during the backup to get any sense of where it might be stopping? For instance, the System Image shows which partitions are being backed up. If it stops during the C partition backup it might help.

If you are doing a file backup, you might be able to remove some file locations from the backup and find out if one folder or file is causing the problem.

If you are having other computer problems, it might be related to those.

If you look in the Windows\Logs directory, there is a folder for WindowsBackup logs you might check.

Reaction score
I have been having same problem in Windows 10. The backup gets stuck at 97% while "creating system image." Today, I successfully created a system image by clicking on the link "create system image" on the top left in the window: Control Panel->System Security -> Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I also backed up the files I want by clicking on the "Change settings" and choosing "Let me choose" instead of letting Windows choose and unticking the create system image. So it takes 2 steps instead of 1, and I will have to remember to create a system image from time to time separately, but at least it worked.

Reaction score
When I run the system backup(found in Control Panel > Backup & Restore(Windows 7)), it's always stuck at 97%. I wait for hours but it never finishes. How do I fix this problem? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
My Surface bricked itself within the warranty period and i have a new one. I can't recover my backup from external drive made with the other surface. I also cannot get past 97% in making a system backup of this brand new Surface which should not have much on it! What do I need to do?

Reaction score
Backups only reaching 97%. What are you using for backup CD DVD or external HD. Could Windows 7 Backup & Restore be looking for a second disk to complete 100% full backup. Just a thought, I don't use Windows 7 Backup & Restore. As suggested, there are many excellent free backup software programs that are much better than Windows backup. Aomei and or Macrium Reflect.

Ask a Question