System Backup

Reaction score
Yes. See the first post in the sticky in the Installation and setup section.

To be fair to Windows 10 the upgrade process has become a lot better since Trouble wrote that post.

After the backup and just before starting the upgrade remove any USB devices that you can. Doing the upgrade connected to your router via Ethernet rather than WiFi does no harm...W10 has much better wifi device drivers than it used to.

And stop or even de-install any 3rd party anti virus programs. Windows defender is fine but get rid of any others. Most but not all will be fine when you have done the upgrade and re-installed them ( even better downloaded the recent versions) but they have proved to be a source of problems during the upgrade process.

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, one other question, do I need to backup my emails, or do the emails get copied to a new email program, I currently use windows live mail.

Reaction score
Depends how you do email. I use a client, not a MS one, so I can just copy a single directory tree to a USB drive.
If you use web mail, like Gmail, where all your emails are stored on a server then they'll be safe.

I have noticed that MANY people have come to this forum using various MS email systems that have not converted nor run properly after the upgrade so I would back email up for sure. A friend of mine had some small problems with different versions of MS Office Outlook.

Ask a Question