system hard drive stays at 77% fragmented will not optimize?

Reaction score
Hi
HP Laptop 240 2000ca, win 10 update from win 7. The system hard drive stays at 77% fragmented and when analyzed it moves to 100%, then when I optimize it runs a very few seconds and stays at 77% fragmented and says it needs optimization. Photo attached I hope. Computers seems to be slow and freezing.

What is wrong with this thing?
Thanks ron3033

Attachments

• D DEFRAG.jpg
    D DEFRAG.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 525
Reaction score
Oops. Saltgrass is right. I didn't notice that it was your actual system partition, not your OS 'System' drive - C:

Last edited:
Reaction score
The "System" partition is the boot partition which you can see in Disk Management. Don't mess with it.

Reaction score
The "System" partition is the boot partition which you can see in Disk Management. Don't mess with it.
Thank you so do I just ignore & not worry about it? I am not the most computer savvy and don't want to make more issues,....I gather that this is what tell the computer how to start up?
Thanks
ron3033

Reaction score
If you look in Disk Management, it is probably a 200-500 MB partition which holds the boot files and actually boots your system. You can verify but the OS partition is different so I would say yes, ignore it. You should not even be checking it so see if you can exempt if from the frag check.

Reaction score
UPDATE:
All of a sudden the system hard drive was 0% fragmented (Dec. 28, 2016). Don't know why it fixed itself, unless updates that happen did this? Computer does not work any better, often I can out type it as whole words sometimes lag?

The computer is still slow and does not run any better. I think the Hp lap top is still very slow and mixed up. No matter what I have tried I often can out type by a few words or a few letters (but some times this does not occur) It often has difficulties switching windows if \I have more than 1 open?

Ask a Question