SOLVED System Image Fails To Complete

Reaction score
Upgraded from Win 7 HM to Win 10, no problems. Ran file history, it completed. System image ran for 18 hours, never completed. Rolled the Toshiba laptop back to Win 7. Downloaded 10 again, same problem, file history completed OK. System image never completes. Tried 2 different 500gb external HDD's. I have 4 laptops and a desktop that all upgraded to Win 10 successfully. I have been able to successfully create File History and system images for each machine.

Reaction score
Could the system image have possibly been waiting for Admin authorization?.
Check your settings and make sure you have Admin rights. Just a thought!

Reaction score
You got no messages concerning the system image?

Make sure you have plenty of room on the originating partitions and the backup drive. If you are trying to create a Win 10 image on the same external drive as you had a Windows 7 version for the same named system, it might be getting confused. External drives will start throwing error messages before they are full. I believe an image is only allowed to take up a specific amount of the drive.

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. Yes, I'm the administrator. No error codes or messages. The System Image starts, the progress slider gets to about 3/16" from the end and stays there, never completes. My C: drive is a 960gb SDD, 734gb free space. I've tried 2 different Ext 500gb HDD, formatted them using diskmgmt.msc. I've created System Image on other machines that I take care of using 500gb for the system Image backup, 2 machines have 1TB C: drives. I've disabled Norton and Malwarebytes, ran system image again ,same problem. Safe Mode won't let me create System Image or File History. All the software I use frequently runs OK, thought it maybe a conflict.

Reaction score
When you say 3/16 " you mean from finishing? I have seen backups which will not go beyond such a limit when starting.

I think the only thing I can recommend is to use a newly formatted drive/partitioon to see if it works with that.

Reaction score
Did a clean install of windows 10. File History and System Image now work as they should

Ask a Question