System powers on by itself after win 10 upgrade?

Reaction score
Hello all. I hope someone can help me with a problem with my win 10 system. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, and all is working well. However, after hibernating, the system powers itself on at 8:30 every evening. I've looked through the Task Scheduler app, and I can't see anything there that has "wake the computer" checked. Does anyone know what else might be causing this, and how I can stop it?

Reaction score
Yes, I have a similar problem, again upgrade was from 7, sleep mode does not put the pc to sleep, and hibernate mode seems to work for 10 minutes or so and the pc wakes up.

Standard Dell Studio pc.

Nothing plugged in continiously except wireless mouse/ wired keyboard.

Antivirus is Bitdefender

The only software I have running that calls for data is forex charts through MT4, this was never a problem with sleep mode in 7

Reaction score
Try changing your Advanced Power Settings by disabling the Allow wake timers under Sleep as shown on this screenshot:

upload_2015-8-17_8-30-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-17_8-28-47.png
    upload_2015-8-17_8-28-47.png
    34 KB · Views: 676
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that didn't work. Other things some folks have reported is that they have disabled the 'HID-compliant game controller' in Device Manager (there are sometimes multiple entries), OR have temporarily disconnected gaming devices to see if that solves the problem. Give those items a try and additionally, make sure all of your device drivers are current after your Win10 upgrade.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that didn't work. Other things some folks have reported is that they have disabled the 'HID-compliant game controller' in Device Manager (there are sometimes multiple entries), OR have temporarily disconnected gaming devices to see if that solves the problem. Give those items a try and additionally, make sure all of your device drivers are current after your Win10 upgrade.

Ah, I think I might have found it. In task scheduler, there was an entry I missed under Windows->Media Center. The entry MCUPDATE_SCHEDULED was set to run at 20:30 each day, and also to wake the computer. I've now disabled this, so hopefully it won't happen tonight.

Strange that this turned itself on as part of the Win 10 install. I don't think Win 10 even has media center anymore!

Thanks for the suggestions all, I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Reaction score
Still a problem for me, don't really know what else to try, yesterday sleep worked Ok, today the pc will not even go into sleep mode and hibernate does nothing.

Ask a Question