System recovery

Reaction score
I need to fix this laptop that my sibling uses for college but i don't know what to do i'm hopping to find some help here...
So we have a lenovo laptop running windows 10 its way too laggy when we turn it on it takes ages to load and i can barley open anything i can't even shut it down properly (its that laggy!) i dont know if its a virus because the anti virus keeps saying theres a threat but i can't delete it since its way too laggy and i can't open anything...
i finally decided ti try and factory reset it by going into recovery mode (thats what its called i think) i looked it up on youtube and it showed me how to do it (i had to press like a small paper clip into a small hole next to the power button) and it worked! the laptop went into that recovery mode so all i had to do was to press System recovery but it just keeps starting up normally it dosen't delete anything!
I'm so confused can anyone help me?

Reaction score
i think i f*cked it up now when i press System recovery It just says that it fails to start properly
Error code : 0xc0000185

i think it has something to do with the BIOS because i tried messing with it
i'll just leave it till one of you guys reply brcause i am clearly not smart enough for this!

Reaction score
Boot up the laptop and keep pressing the F11 key as it's booting up. You should then get a screen that has several options on it. You want to select Full Restore. Then let the laptop do it's thing. Once it completes the laptop should be back to the way it was from the store. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
I need to fix this laptop that my sibling uses for college but i don't know what to do i'm hopping to find some help here...
So we have a lenovo laptop running windows 10 its way too laggy when we turn it on it takes ages to load and i can barley open anything i can't even shut it down properly (its that laggy!) i dont know if its a virus because the anti virus keeps saying theres a threat but i can't delete it since its way too laggy and i can't open anything...
i finally decided ti try and factory reset it by going into recovery mode (thats what its called i think) i looked it up on youtube and it showed me how to do it (i had to press like a small paper clip into a small hole next to the power button) and it worked! the laptop went into that recovery mode so all i had to do was to press System recovery but it just keeps starting up normally it dosen't delete anything!
I'm so confused can anyone help me?

The simplest way is to do a complete 'clean install' of Windows 10. Have you got a bootable USB and/or a DVD for your Windows 10 operating system? If you have, reboot the computer and either press F2 or F12 (whatever it takes to boot into BIOS) then, change boot to either USB or CD drive. Reboot system with either USB or DVD in the drive and do a ‘clean install’ of Windows 10 and go through all the process of the setup.

If you haven't got a windows disk then you can download it ‘Free’ from Microsoft then download the 'media creation Tool' at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 then make a bootable USB or a DVD of the appropriate and do a 'clean install'.

What are your Lenovo's specs? E.g. CPU, RAM and HDD? Another problem that you might have with your 'lenovo laptop running windows 10 its way too laggy when we turn it on it takes ages to load and i can barley open anything' is most certainly with the hardware e.g. and old HDD spinner, which could be on its way out and/or too slow for Windows 10, your CPU might be too slow or your RAM, might be too inadequate for operating Windows 10. I had this problem with my 'Acer Aspire 5750-2414' which is an 8 year old laptop, which had an i5-Core 2410M CPU and 4 Gb of RAM and an old WD spinner HDD which was not adequate for Windows 10 to operate adequately and had the same 'laggy performance' like yours. I changed all these components to the following:

1. Replaced CPU to an i7-Core 2720QM or an upgraded and compatible CPU for your Lenovo laptop. First find out the current CPU in your laptop then go to: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/ and see the compatible CPU's for your laptop to upgrade to.
2. Increased RAM to 8GB (which is the max for this laptop) at 666.7MHz (DDR3-1333 PC3-10600)
3. Updated to the latest BIOS and the last for my laptop.
4. Replace the old spinner WD HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO (which are the best and fastest)
5. Updated all drivers to the latest especially the Graphics driver, which makes a big difference in performance.

This is a very cheap and efficient way of upgrading (without spending a considerable amount of money) on your old laptop, so you can have an old laptop that can keep up with Windows 10 and get all the experience that Windows 10 can give you and make your laptop functioning well. It worked for me (on my old laptop) and its absolutely unbelievable and lighting quick. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It keeps going into automatic repair even tho i am pressing the fn+f12 keys
and still gives me the error code 0xc0000185

and thanks ill try downloading the a new version of windows ill also give you the specs once i get home

Reaction score

and thanks ill try downloading the a new version of windows ill also give you the specs once i get home

For this problem first try these steps and do the following:

1. First hold the 'Shift Key' then press your finger on the 'Shut Down Button' for a few seconds. Keep 'Shift Key' held down till the unit is all the way off, then 'Boot' your system up while holding the F2 key, this will get you straight into the BIOS menu.
2. If No-1 doesn't work then remove the BIOS battery for a few minutes, this is located inside your laptop and you would have to open the laptop then, replace the same battery into the battery slot, make sure that you replace it in the position that it originally was. This will reset your BIOS to defaults and then do the following:

Reboot > Press F2 or F12 (or whatever is the button on your computer) immediately when the boot screen starts.

Now you will be able to get into the BIOS to skip the 'Automatic Repair' then change your boot priority order to either USB HDD or CDROM for a DVD media.

After you get into the BIOS do the steps above (that I've outlined for 'clean install') to be able to boot from your Windows 10 media e.g. USB or DVD and then proceed with the install process.

open it and remove the

Last edited:
Reaction score

Press just the F11 key. Not the Fn+F12.

Ask a Question