SOLVED System Restore defunct

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am a newbie so bear with me,

I stupidly downloaded a file that contained so many unwanted rubbish apps and malware that I had no option other than re-install win 10.
After this install, system restore would let me create a restore point but will not let me use the restore point or any other restore point that had been saved.
So I again re-installed win 10 and to my dismay the same thing happened. I can save a restore point but cannot retrieve it with system restore.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks in advance,

Goozzie

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you checked whether you can successfully run a System Restore from Safe Mode.

If you can that would suggest a third party application, or perhaps security software is preventing it running in Normal mode.
  • Press Windows key and R key to open Run dialog
  • Type msconfig in the Run dialog then click OK
  • Select the Boot tab
  • Check the box next to Safe Boot then apply and restart computer

Note: When finished working in Safe mode, repeat steps above but remove the check next to Safe Boot then apply and restart to be able to boot into normal mode.

Report back on whether it works there or not.

Also, if you are getting a specific error message when Restore points do not work please tell us the precise wording of that error.

Reaction score
Hi,
Yup tried that didn't work. Thought about renaming the windowsapp folder but I decided not to attempt that method.
So the best thing I think I can do is to re-install win 10 by wiping the drive completely and get a clean install. My SSD C:/drive is only used for booting and only holds the operating system so I will not lose anything important as I have other drives with the important files on.
Thanks for your suggestion and i'm sorry it didn't work.
G

Reaction score
System restore is turned off by default on a new install. I assume you have been enabling it for your C:\ drive after a clean install.

Reaction score
Hi, All,
I am still getting the freezing problem but only very rarely now, this is because I learned of this app (jv16 PowerTools 2017) which has seemed to have solved 90% of the problem. jv16 PowerTools 2017 is a free to download and use but it is not the pro version but the download from their site is adequate for cleaning the system. Hope this helps other people with the same problem.
Thanks to all

Goozzie

Ask a Question