SOLVED System Restore question

Reaction score
I had excellent sound and then no sound. The only thing that happened and I'm not sure about it is there was a driver update. I'm not sure the sound was gone immediately after that update. I would like to restore the system back to a date when there was sound, but when I try to set a date, I can go no further back than December 30. Is there anything I can do to set it back to December 28th?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since you suspect a "driver update", then maybe you can start by rolling that back.
Right click the Start Button and choose device manager.
Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
Right click your sound card and choose properties
Select the driver tab
See if the "Roll Back Driver" button is available to you.
IF so, give it a whirl.
Reboot.
You might have to roll back more than once to get all the way back to the driver that actually worked

Reaction score
You might also check the playback panel for the sound devices. If you can find a device with a level meter which is moving you will know where the sound is going. It might be directed at a device which does not really have an output.

Reaction score
Right Click the speaker icon on the Taskbar and select playback devices. If it isn't showing your output device with the level meter as default, maybe you can change it.

Reaction score
Since you suspect a "driver update", then maybe you can start by rolling that back.
Right click the Start Button and choose device manager.
Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
Right click your sound card and choose properties
Select the driver tab
See if the "Roll Back Driver" button is available to you.
IF so, give it a whirl.
Reboot.
You might have to roll back more than once to get all the way back to the driver that actually worked
Thanks. I've rolled back once, but there is no difference. I'll try it again before long.

Reaction score
Right Click the speaker icon on the Taskbar and select playback devices. If it isn't showing your output device with the level meter as default, maybe you can change it.

First, when I saw I could test the sound, it worked great. I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but I don't know which item is the output device. I see nothing with a meter. One device is the Digital Display Audio and it says it is not plugged in. If it is supposed to be plugged in I don't know how to identify what or where it is.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have a speaker ICON, on the bottom right of your screen? Far right side of the taskbar, very close to the clock in the notification area?
Right click that and choose "Playback devices"
You should see this

Capture2.JPG

Select your speakers as indicated, if they do not have a green check symbol as indicated, then right click them and choose set as default.
Click the properties button.
Select the Levels tab
Make sure there is not a red circle with a line through it. Adjust the level to the right set it to 75 or so and click OK.

Reaction score
Open your settings, click "updates and security", click "advanced options", then click"view your update history". See if you've had a recent update to your audio driver. If so, you may need to go to your sound card/ sound chip manufacture, and download the latest drivers there. Microsot doesn't always ch
First, when I saw I could test the sound, it worked great. I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but I don't know which item is the output device. I see nothing with a meter. One device is the Digital Display Audio and it says it is not plugged in. If it is supposed to be plugged in I don't know how to identify what or where it is.
The digital display audio is most likely from your video card. Most modern graphics cards have sound capability via hdmi. I have that entry too, and it's only active when I have an hdmi cable hooked up.

In your device manager, what does it say under "sound, video, and game controllers"?

Click arrow to left of it to expand
BHBlrCn.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have a speaker ICON, on the bottom right of your screen? Far right side of the taskbar, very close to the clock in the notification area?
You should see this

View attachment 2025

Select your speakers as indicated, if they do not have a green check symbol as indicated, then right click them and choose set as default.
Select the Levels tab
Make sure there is not a red circle with a line through it. Adjust the level to the right set it to 75 or so and click OK.

THAT DID IT! Sound is back! There was no green check symbol for the speakers. Now, there is and now there is sound. Thank you so much and thank everyone else for the efforts to assist me!

Reaction score
You should see this

View attachment 2025

Select the Levels tab

Thanks so much! See my message below that the problem is solved after I followed your instructions!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good. Glad to hear that you managed to figure it out.
Thanks for the update.
Regards
Randy.

Reaction score
Good. Glad to hear that you managed to figure it out.
Thanks for the update.
Regards
Randy.

As it happens, the volume is too low and I have it set at 100% trying it get it louder, but it doesn't get louder. Before, when there was sound, it was loud. I've tried everything I can think of and it doesn't change anything. What do you suggest?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The ability to adjust sound levels properly is dependent on having the proper driver for the sound card installed.
Please provide the exact....
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Complete Model Number for the computer you are having the problem with.

I'm currently working on a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086
I replaced the hard drive and install windows 7 x64 Home Premium from scratch.
The drivers have been a nightmare. The sound drivers for that required the Realtek drivers but not from Realtek but rather the Realtek drivers that Toshiba provided for that specific laptop.
They're just proprietary enough that it requires a specific driver to enable the MAXX Dolby Advance Audio to work with the integrated Harmon / Kardon speakers.
It added an additional Control Panel Applet to configure some of the MAXX features

Reaction score
The ability to adjust sound levels properly is dependent on having the proper driver for the sound card installed.
Please provide the exact....
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Complete Model Number for the computer you are having the problem with.

I'm currently working on a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086
I replaced the hard drive and install windows 7 x64 Home Premium from scratch.
The drivers have been a nightmare. The sound drivers for that required the Realtek drivers but not from Realtek but rather the Realtek drivers that Toshiba provided for that specific laptop.
They're just proprietary enough that it requires a specific driver to enable the MAXX Dolby Advance Audio to work with the integrated Harmon / Kardon speakers.
It added an additional Control Panel Applet to configure some of the MAXX features

Trouble, I've been in contact with the manufacturer (IBuyPower) and they tell me there is no driver available for Windows 10. I bought the machine and it had Windows 8. They said they could send me a link for a 64bit driver for Windows 7 if I wanted to try it. Do you think it's worth a try?
The model # is "i series 301."

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go to device manager
expand Sound, video and game controllers
Right click the problem sound card and choose properties
Select the details tab
use the drop down arrow to change device description to hardwareIDs
Select the top line of the value box then right click it and choose copy
paste the results into your next post.
Should look something like this
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102&REV_00
Probably not identical but similar.

Reaction score
Go to device manager
expand Sound, video and game controllers
Right click the problem sound card and choose properties
Select the details tab
use the drop down arrow to change device description to hardwareIDs
Select the top line of the value box then right click it and choose copy
paste the results into your next post.
Should look something like this
PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_100A1102&REV_00
Probably not identical but similar.
Here it is:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0441&SUBSYS_1458A014&REV_1001

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's a VIA HD Audio chipset and a real problem with Windows 10.
You could try the Windows 7 driver that they offered to email you and see if it works depending on the contents of the driver package you may have to install it in compatibility mode if has a "Setup.exe" program.

I went through this same deal with a buddy in North Carolina (BassFisher6522 he's a member on this forum).
I don't recall for sure, but I don't think he ever got it resolved and I believe ended up going back to Windows 8.1 if I'm not mistaken.

Another option might be to shop around for a cheap add-in card, depending on what slots you might have available.
When my integrated sound went out on my Gigabyte board I bought one of these
http://smile.amazon.com/Creative-So...566&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+sound+blaster+se
Seems to work fine on this Windows 10 Pro 64 bit machine I'm using now.
I disabled the integrated sound in the BIOS, that may be an option for you.... if you have an open PCI slot.

Reaction score
That's a VIA HD Audio chipset and a real problem with Windows 10.
You could try the Windows 7 driver that they offered to email you and see if it works depending on the contents of the driver package you may have to install it in compatibility mode if has a "Setup.exe" program.

I went through this same deal with a buddy in North Carolina (BassFisher6522 he's a member on this forum).
I don't recall for sure, but I don't think he ever got it resolved and I believe ended up going back to Windows 8.1 if I'm not mistaken.

Another option might be to shop around for a cheap add-in card, depending on what slots you might have available.
When my integrated sound went out on my Gigabyte board I bought one of these
http://smile.amazon.com/Creative-So...566&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+sound+blaster+se
Seems to work fine on this Windows 10 Pro 64 bit machine I'm using now.
I disabled the integrated sound in the BIOS, that may be an option for you.... if you have an open PCI slot.

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I'll just accept it as is. The 64bit from Windows 7 changed nothing

Ask a Question